Home » Finance » Draft Minutes of Finance and General Purposes Committee January 18th 2016

Draft Minutes of Finance and General Purposes Committee January 18th 2016

Wheatley Parish Council
MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE FINANCE & GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE OF THE COUNCIL HELD ON MONDAY 18th JANUARY 2016 IN THE MERRY BELLS COFFEE ROOM AT 7.30PM
PRESENT: Councillors: P Gregory (Chairman), G Stephens, J Carr, P Hood, P Willmott, R Reilly, T Davies and T Newman

OFFICER: THE CLERK: Gareth Morris

Also present: Parish Councillor R Bell and one member of the public
98. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE were had been received from Cllr A Davies
99. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Cllrs G Stephens and P Willmott both declared an interest in item 6 as they were Trustees of the Wheatley Playing Field Trust

100. MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING HELD 21st December 2015 – circulated previously were signed as a correct and accurate record
101. UPDATE ON ITEMS FROM THE MINUTES 21st December 2015
i) Minute 73(i) – VPA Cherry tree in the Church Road Recreation Ground – The clerk to contact Richard Taylor and Aaron Savage
ii) Minute 73(ii) – Vehicle Activated signs – As there was still no response from the Highways Dept a formal letter would be sent to the Cabinet Member for Highways (David Nimmo-Smith) with a copy to Cty Cllr Anne Purse. MDMessagermaker also to be contacted
iii) Minute 73(iv) – Littleworth Allotments – signs were now in place at both ends of the allotments saying the land belongs to Wheatley Parish Council, there is no public right of way and ‘No Dogs Allowed’. Site meetings with the allotment holders would take place shortly
iv) Minute 94 – Bollards at Friday Lane Corner – the clerk had been informed by the OCC Highways Inspector that there was no money to replace the bollard and so the hole left had been filled in. If the collision had been reported to the police/OCC at the time then an insurance claim might have been made against the company

102. TO RECOMMEND TO FULL COUNCIL WHETHER OR NOT TO OPT IN OR OUT TO THE SMALLER AUTHORITIES’ AUDIT APPOINTMENTS LTD.
Following the demise of the Audit Commission the above company has been formed to take over the appointment of external auditors and the setting of audit fees for smaller authorities from 2017. The Parish Council has to decide whether to stay with the new company or choose
Cllr T Davies and Cllr Reilly seconded that Wheatley Parish Council should stay with the Smaller Authorities’ Audit Appointments Ltd. This was AGREED unanimously

103. TO CONSIDER THE REPLY FROM THE SOLICITOR ON A LEASE BETWEEN THE PARISH COUNCIL AND THE WHEATLEY PLAYING FIELD TRUST
Cllr Hood proposed and Cllr Reilly seconded that Mr R Eden of Bower and Bowker be engaged to act for the Parish Council. This was Agreed unanimously.
It was further Agreed that a small working group be set up, consisting of Cllrs Gregory, Carr, Newman and the clerk, to look at the points raised by Mr Eden and see if they should be included in the lease.
104. OALC TRAINING FOR CLERK AND ASSISTANT CLERK
i) Preparing for Audit and end of year procedures 1x £35 (27/01/16) – Agreed
ii) Meeting Internal Audit Requirements 1 x 35 (10/02/16) – Agreed
105. TO CONSIDER THE CONDITION OF THE TREES WITHIN THE VILLAGE AND WHAT ACTIONS ARE NECESSARY
The work to the trees along Farm Close Road, Littleworth Green and St Mary’s Close had been completed.
Cherry Tree Crown Road/Roman Rd – an OCC Officer had said he was prepared to give a planting licence provided the Parish Council was responsible for sourcing, planting and maintaining the tree. The committee agreed that the Parish Council would be responsible.
A letter had been received from 1 St Mary’s Close concerning a small plot of land on the eastern corner of the junction between St Mary’s Close and London Road which is owned by the Parish Council and which was maintained by a previous owner of No.1. The new owner of No1 is not prepared to look after this land unless it is incorporated into his deeds. It was Agreed that the Council should reply saying it wished to remain owners of the land and would maintain it.
The clerk had asked for a quote from Green Scythe to strim the banks of the Ambrose Rise stream.
The clerk would contact OCC highways again over the hedge at 1 Crown Road and the trees on Holloway Road east, below the bottom entry to the surgery.
106. TO CONSIDER SUPPORT FOR THE MAPLE TREE CHILDREN’S CENTRE
No further information had been received but to be kept on the agenda
107. GRANTS, LICENCES AND SUBSCRIPTIONS – None
108. TO CONSIDER THE REPORTS ON THE PARISH COUNCILLORS’ WALKS
AROUND THE VILLAGE
Footpath behind Barlow’s Close – The clerk had asked for a quote to clear the land and remove (grass shrubs etc.) between the path and the Barlows Close garden fences. He had made contact with an engineer from Barrett’s West Midland who was going to look into the situation. The clerk would also contact SSE for information on the cost of replacement lamps. The Chairman reported that he had walked the path the previous evening and 4 out of the 8 lamps were not working.
The Clerk should mention ‘contingent liability’ to Barretts

It had been brought to the clerk’s attention that pre 1949 rights of way that are not on official maps must be registered within 10 years or will no longer be protected. It was suggested that contact be made with Mr Mike Smith
109. TO CONSIDER THE REQUEST FROM THE NEIGHBOURHOOD ACTION GROUP FOR A JOINT PARISH COUNCIL/THAMES VALLEY POLICE ACTION DAY. Deferred to next meeting
110. CLERK UPDATE
i) Repair to Nest Swing, Church Road Recreation Ground – £765 plus VAT.
Agreed
ii) Litter Pick – “Clean for the Queen” – the clerk would register for the scheme.
iii) HM Lord-Lieutenant of Oxfordshire, HM the Queen’s 90th Birthday. Celebrations in June 2016 It was Agreed to hold a meeting of interested parties as soon as possible as soon as possible. Cllr T Davies to lead
iv) Repairs to garage caused by parish council tree – £168.00 – Agreed – make sure that any payment is ‘in full and final settlement’.
111. FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
a) Budget to the end of December 2015 had been distributed with the Agenda and was discussed
A copy a reconciled bank statement by Chairman & RFO was signed

b) Balances
After the cheques below have been paid the balances on the council’s accounts as at 18th January will be as follows:
Community £2,251.73
Tracker £108,461.78
Treasury £60,850.78
112. SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS AUTHORISED

Cheque no. Payee Payment details Amount
Cheques paid
106396-402 GM/SW/JF/OCC/AR/HMR&C Dec sals/wages/pen/PAYE/NIC 4,032.69
103395 Open Spaces Society 2016 subscription 45.00
d/d Bank Charges 35.15
Total £4,112.84
Cheques to Pay
106403 Irwin Mitchell (POA) Legal fees VGA 500.00
106404 Berinsfield Community Business Verges Dec 2015 608.33
106405 MBMC Office Rent 25/12/15-24/3/16 1,140.93
106405 MBMC Gas recharge -16/9/15-7/12/15 13.25
106405 MBMC Hall rental for meetings 36.00
106405 MBMC Hall rental for NP meetings 60.00
106406 Mainstream Digital Line rental/call charges/phone book entry – 10/12/15-09/03/16 79.00
106407 Southern Electric Est Electricity 14.10.15 – 07.01.16 66.86
106408 Thames Water Memorial Gardens 4.69
106409 M Aitken Flower beds – Memorial Gardens 79.00
106410 Gregorz Zasuwa Office window cleaning 5.00
106411 Sage UK Ltd Sage Cover 2016 201.60
106412 Earth Anchors Ltd 2 dog bins for Windmill Road 457.14
106413 OCC Yellow lines for Church Road 2,841.35
S/O Wheatley Playing Field Trust Monthly standing order 833.33
GM/SW/JF/AR/OCC//HMR&C Jan sals/wages/pen/PAYE/NICs 4,500.00
Total £11,426.48

INCOME RECEIVED SINCE LAST MEETING

Income details Amount
Tracker Account Interest 17.88
Newsletter Advertising 345.00
WPFT Jan repayments of loan 500.00
Total £862.88

113. PUBLICATIONS & CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED & NOTED
i) The Haseleys January 2016*
ii) Little Milton Newsletter – January 2016*
iii) Great Milton Bulletin – December 2015*
iv) URC Newsletter – January 2016*
v) Holton, Waterperry & Waterstock News – December 2015*
vi) Clerks and Councils Direct – January 2016*

* On display in Parish Office
114. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – 15th February 2016 – NOTED

115. ITEMS FOR INFORMATION

• Cllr Stephens asked for a date for Traffic and Roads Advisory Committee to be set – to be done at March Council meeting
• Cllr Willmott reported that once the Sportsfield Management‘s accounts had been audited then the Parish Council might be due a small refund. The Parish Council should also then invoice the County Council for their (OCC) contribution to the redundancy payments.
• Cllr T Davies reported that as the Parish Council’s Public Transport Representative he was to attend a meeting with bus companies and other parishes over the OCC cuts to bus subsidies
• The clerk reported that he had just been informed that Diocese had agreed the new location of the new bench in the Memorial Gardens. A faculty would now have to be applied for

The meeting closed at 8.47pm