Home » Finance » Minutes of Finance and General Purposes Meeting held on 21st December 2015

Minutes of Finance and General Purposes Meeting held on 21st December 2015

Wheatley Parish Council

 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE FINANCE & GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE OF THE COUNCIL HELD ON MONDAY 21st DECEMBER 2015 IN THE MERRY BELLS COFFEE ROOM AT 7.30PM

 

 

PRESENT: Councillors: G Stephens (Chairman), J Carr, P Hood, R J Reilly, P Willmott, R Reilly and T Newman

 

OFFICER: THE CLERK: Gareth Morris

 

 

 

  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE had been received from Cllr Birks, A Davies and T Davies

 

 

  1. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – None

  

 

  1. MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING HELD 16th November 2015 which had been circulated previously were signed as a correct and accurate record when the following amendments had been made:
  2. i) Minute 73 (iii) Minute 57(i) – Last line change ‘be will’ to ‘will be’
  3. i) Minute 73(iii) Minute 59 – add ‘agenda’ to the end of the 2nd sentence
  4. ii) Minute 76 Delete ‘he’ and add ‘the Parish Clerk’ after ‘This’ in the final sentence

 

 

  1. UPDATE ON ITEMS FROM THE MINUTES 16th November 2015
  2. i) Minute 73(i) – VPA Cherry tree in the Church Road Recreation Ground. The Chairman of the Committee and the clerk had visited the recreation ground and felt that a location to the left of the youth shelter would be suitable.
  3. ii) Minute 73(ii) – Vehicle Activated signs – Reply received from OCC on 3rd December “I have spoken to my group manager about this scheme today, you will need a Section 50 licence (NRSWA) for the installation of the VAS’s but there will also need to be a legal agreement for the ongoing liability issues (e.g. if the sign falls over or is struck by a vehicle etc), as soon as I am informed how we are able to proceed I will contact you.”

          The clerk had made a follow-up e-mail only to be told that the officer was on leave until 4th January

   iii) Minute 73(iii) – Double decker buses for school transport. The clerk had reported the parish Council’s concerns to the OCC officer responsible for school transport to Wheatley Park School in November. No reply had been received

  1. iv) Minute 73(iv) – Littleworth Allotments – a further letter had been sent to allotment holders explaining that a meeting between them and the Parish Council would take place with the aim of clarifying the boundaries between the allotment holders property and the Parish Council’s. The signs for both ends were now ready and would be installed in the new year
  2. v) Minute 79 – Loan of hand tools for hedge trimmingThese had been purchased   and the Chairman of the Council would explain the thinking behind the purchase in the Newsletter. A signing in and out book had been organised.

 

    

  1. TO RECOMMEND TO FULL COUNCIL ON 4TH JANUARY 2016
  2. i) Revised budget for 205-2016
  3. ii) Budget for 2016-17 & Precept for 2016-17

 

The clerk took the committee through the figures for the revised budget 2015-2015   and the 2016-2016 budget.

It was agreed that £2,000 be added for the maintenance of the field at Littleworth.

There was a debate on whether or not the precept should be raised and, if raised, by how much. The decision was to raise the precept by £1,500 to cover the loss of funding from the County Council for grass verge cutting.

 

Cllr Reilly proposed and Cllr Carr seconded that the revised budget 2015-2016 and the 2016-2017 budget, as amended, be recommended to full council on 4th January and that the precept be increased by £1,500

This was AGREED unanimously

 

 

  1. TO CONSIDER SUPPORT FOR THE MAPLE TREE CHILDREN’S CENTRE

     Agreed to defer any decision for the moment

 

 

  1. TO RECOMMEND TO FULL COUNCIL CHANGES TO THE PARISH COUNCIL’S FINANCIAL REGULATIONS

Given the recent relaxation in the rules allowing Parish Councils to use internet banking etc. and with the closure of the Barclays’ branch in Wheatley, the Parish Council’s Financial Regulations need to be brought up to date.

The clerk explained why he felt the Financial Regulations should be changed.

       Cllr Carr proposed and Cllr Reilly seconded that Section 6 of the Parish Council’s

       Financial Regulations as per the Clerk’s paper be recommended to full council.

 

 

  1. TO CONSIDER THE CONDITION OF THE TREES WITHIN THE VILLAGE AND WHAT ACTIONS ARE NECESSARY

       Tree work along Farm Close Road footpath and on Littleworth Green had been completed. The work on the Horse Chestnut in St Mary’s Close to be undertaken in January.

       Trees/areas giving cause for concern:

  • Eastern side of Holloway Road, below the surgery entrance – repeat request for it to be cut back.
  • 1 Crown Road – still not cut back the whole way
  • Parish Council land on the corner of St Mary’s Close/London Road
  • Dangerous tree on Littleworth Green
  • Tree at eastern end of the Farm Close Road footpath was causing concern
  • Trees at western end of the allotments would need to be cut back – cost £600
  • Trees along footpath to Farm Close Road – the clerk had written to Shortlift Ltd. On the other side of the path some of the trees may well be the responsibility of the County Council

 

 

  1. Consideration of the funding of bell bollard/s at Friday Lane. The Clerk would request that the wooden bollard be replaced

 

 

  1. GRANTS, LICENCES AND SUBSCRIPTION

  i) Sage cover for 2016 – £168 – Agreed

ii) Open Spaces Society – 2016 subscription – £45.00 – Agreed

 

 

  1. TO CONSIDER THE REPORTS ON THE PARISH COUNCILLORS’ WALKS AROUND THE VILLAGE

The issue of the allotments raised on the walks was being deal with.

 

  1. TO REPORT ON PROGRESS IN ORDERING NEW NOTICEBOARDS

       The Clerk had to apologise to the committee when he was about to submit the application for grant aid to SODC he had been informed that the application was out of time.

However the next period for grant aid would open in February 2016 and it was possible that 100% funding could be obtained.

 

 

  1. TO CONSIDER THE REQUEST FROM THE NEIGHBOURHOOD ACTION GROUP FOR A JOINT PARISH COUNCIL/THAMES VALLEY POLICE ACTION DAY

       As Cllr A. Davies (the councillor who had raised the suggestion at full council) was absent the matter was deferred

 

 

9. CLERK UPDATE    

i)  Grade II Listed Building Status for Wheatley’s War Memorial – The clerk reported that Historic England had awarded Grade II listed building status to the war memorial .

ii) 2 x Dog waste bins for Windmill Road (£179 each) – one paid for by The Howe Trust – Agreed

iii) HM Lord-Lieutenant of Oxfordshire, HM the Queen’s 90th Birthday. Celebrations in June 2016. Villages were being encouraged to organise street parties for the weekend of 11th/12th June. Full Council to deceide

iv) Village Christmas tree – the clerk reported that the lights on the tree had been switched on the previous Wednesday. A number of primary school pupils had been present plus 3 parish councillors. He had arranged for a couple of players from the City of Oxford Silver Band to play for the carols.

It was suggested that a ‘Village’ Carol concert around the tree be organised in the future.

 

 

10. FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT)

Budget to the end of November 2015 had been circulated

a)  A completed copy of reconciled bank statement was signed by the by Chairman & RFO

b) Balances

After the cheques below have been paid the balances on the council’s   accounts as at 21st September 2015 will be as follows:

Community     £2,609.15

Tracker         £120,443.90

Treasury           £60,850.78

 

 

 

11. SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS AUTHORISED

 

Cheque no. Payee Payment details Amount
Cheques paid
106371-376 GM/SW/JF/OCC/AR/HMR&C Nov sals/wages/pen/PAYE/NIC 3,995.54
106369 SODC Uncontested election costs 95.00
106370 Sue Ryder Hospice Nettlebed Grant Aid 50.00
106377 Mark Aitken Work in Memorial Gardens 99.00
106388 WPSFMC Amount needed to clear the overdraft 2,488.32
d/d Barclays Bank Bank charges 13/10 to 12/11 44.73
Total £6,772.59
Cheques to Pay
106378 Arrow Accounting Visit of Internal Auditor 122.50
106380 The Merry Bells Hire of hall and coffee room April – December 196.50
106380 The Merry Bells Rental increase 18/10-24/12 5.91
106381 Annette Richards Dec/Jan newsletter 680.00
106382 Parchment of Oxford Dec/Jan newsletter 1,592.63
106383 Briants of Risborough Hand tools for loan 51.16
106384 Mainstream Digital Phone book entries, line rental 10/6-9/9,call charges 10/6-29/6 76.60
106384 Mainstream Digital Call charges 2/07 – 28/07 3.85
106384 Mainstream Digital Call charges 01/05 – 29/05 3.83
106384 Mainstream Digital Call charges 05/11-27/11 1.14
106385 The Tree Barn Christmas tree 204.00
106386 Lyreco Paper and labels 59.82
106387 Trinder and Son PAT Test 80.00
106389 P Gregory Mileage to Didcot 04.11.15 21.13
106390 M Aitken Clearance of planter and beds 79.00
106391 Trinder and Son Christmas tree electrics 35.00
106392 SODC May election costs 2,867.04
106393 Berinsfield Community Business Nov payment for verges 608.33
106394 Kingdom Signs Ltd Signs for allotment
S/O Wheatley Playing Field Trust Monthly standing order 833.33
GM/SW/JF/AR/OCC//HMR&C Sept Dec/wages/pen/PAYE/NICs 4,300.00
Total              £11,821.77

 

 

INCOME RECEIVED SINCE LAST MEETING

 

Income details Amount
Treasury Bill Interest 37.60
Newsletter Advertising 1,675.00
VAT Repayment 715.93
WPFT Oct,Nov,Dec repayments of loan 1,500.00
Total £3,928.53

 

 

 

12. PUBLICATIONS & CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED and NOTED

i) The Haseleys December 2015*

ii) Little Milton Newsletter –December 2015*

iii) Great Milton Bulletin – December 2015*

iv) URC Newsletter – December 2015*

v) Tiddington with Albury and Milton Common Newsletter December 2015/January 2016*

vi) Holton, Waterperry & Waterstock News – December 2015*

vii) CPRE ‘Countryside Voice’ & ‘Field Work’ – Winter 2015

viii) Open Spaces Society – “Open Space” Autumn 2015

ix) Sue Ryder Nettlebed Hospice – Thank you for grant aid

x) South and Vale Carers – Thank-you for grant aid.

xi) OALC – November 2015 Update

 

* On display in Parish Office

 

13 . DATE OF NEXT MEETING – 18th January 2016 – Noted

 

 

14.  ITEMS FOR INFORMATION

 

  • Bench in Memorial gardens – The Diocese would be considering it a meeting on 11th It would still probably need a ‘Faculty.
  • Cllr Newman – complaints of dog mess at the western end of High Street. He had reported a blue car abandoned by Church Road. Also there was a planning application in for a new travellers site on the A40 at Testworth.

 

 

 

The meeting closed at 9.28pm