Home » Finance » Finance and General Purposes Committee 19th Novemebr 2012

Finance and General Purposes Committee 19th Novemebr 2012

Wheatley Parish Council

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE FINANCE & GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE OF THE COUNCIL HELD ON MONDAY 19th NOVEMBER 2012 IN THE PARISH OFFICE AT 7.30PM

PRESENT: Councillors: J Reilly (in the Chair), S Coleridge, E Bailey, R Old, J Carr, J Anderson & R Bell

OFFICER THE CLERK: Gareth Morris

MEMBERS HAD BEEN REMINDED BY MEANS OF THE AGENDA THAT IF THEY   HAD AN INTEREST TO DECLARE IN ANY AGENDA ITEM, THEY SHOULD DO SO IN ADVANCE OF THE MEETING IN THE BOOK PROVIDED FOR THIS PURPOSE

63.   APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE had been received from Cllrs Stacey and Birks

64.   DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – None

65.  MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING HELD 15th OCTOBER 2012 which had been circulated previously were signed as a correct and accurate record.

66.  UPDATE ON ITEMS FROM THE MINUTES 15TH OCTOBER 2012

(i) Minute 37(iii) –gully clearing – The gullies on Ladder Hill and High Street had been cleared but not those along London Road. The clerk to chase this up

(ii) Minute 37(vi) – Footway around the Roundhouse. The cheque had still not been cashed and no start date had been set. It was Agreed to write to the Cabinet member for Highways expressing the Parish Council’s dissatisfaction in the delay to this scheme.

£750 had been sent to the County Council for 3 new grit bins for the village. It was hoped they would be installed in the next three weeks

(iii) Minute 37(v) – Request from Village Archives to use Parish Council wi-fi.  A dual router had now been installed so it would be possible for the Village Archives to access the internet separately from the Parish Council. It was Agreed to charge the Archives for the cost of the router and for them to use for a a trial period of 6 months.

(iv) Minute 53 – Flooding and maintenance of Ambrose Rise/Crown Road ditch – Kavan Ring had hand dug some of the ditch out but the land was to soft to employ a digger. 5 boxes of Aquasacs were being delivered to the Parish office later in the week

(v) Minute 54 – Cullum Road sandpit – The working party was to hold a further meeting later in the week to which a representative from OPFA had been invited

(vi) Minute 55 – New pedestrian access to Church Road Recreation Ground – The clerk had contacted Mr Simon Shew who had agreed to put forward a design

67. TO RECEIVE AN UPDATE ON PROGRESS ON THE PARISH COUNCIL’S PROJECT TO PROVIDE TWO EVENINGS YOUTH PROVISION AT THE YOUTH CENTRE

Issues over the insurance and key collection were being sorted out between Fusion and the Centre. The Clerk had seen the training qualifications and the CRB register for those who would be working at the Centre.

£980 worth of equipment had been purchased via a Parish Council cheque. A thank you to Asda was due because they had organised a system where by the Parish Council could purchase the goods, pay by cheque and be able to claim the VAT back.

The club was due to start on the Wednesday and then the following Sunday. Some councillors were still unhappy about the age group for both evenings being mixed. It was Agreed to ask the advisory group for a written report for the Parish Council meeting on 7th January.

It was Agreed to vary the order of the Agenda – To take item 6, 2013-14 Budget, after item 9

68.  CLERK UPDATE

i) Gate across Muddy Lane – the Clerk is still to contact the OCC Countryside Team.

ii) Signs for Memorial Gardens and ex toilet block land. Agreed to purchase 2 ‘Dogs must be kept on a  lead’ signs for the two gates into the Memorial Gardens and a ‘No Ball games’ sign for the ex toilet block land

iii) Request from Biffa for a location for recycling bins – Agreed that this should replace the concrete bin and pole mounted bin outside ‘The Cornfield Bakery

iv) LGBCE– recommended ward changes for South Oxfordshire – to be discussed at the next F& GP Meeting

69.  GRANTS, LICENCES AND SUBSCRIPTIONS

i) South and Vale Carers Centre – 5 carers supported in Wheatley (£150 granted in 2011-12)

AGREED £200

70.  TO RESPOND TO A RESIDENT’S REQUEST TO CONSIDER PURSUING ULTRA FAST BROADBAND IN THE VILLAGE PLUS CONSIDERATION OF OCC’S REQUEST TO NOMINATE A BROADBAND CHAMPION FOR THE AREA

It was Agreed to ask Mr Buchannan, the resident who had written to the Parish Council in the first instance, if he would be prepared to be the villages ’Broadband Champion’

71.   TO CONSIDER A REVISED BUDGET FOR 2012-13 AND THE BUDGET 2013-2014

i) To consider revised budget for 2012-13 and 2013-2014 budget

The clerk presented a revised budget for 2012 – 13.

At the moment the revised budget was lower than the original one for 2012-2013. The costs of the Youth centre would be looked at again and the grants (non 137) would be increased by £500

The clerk suggested that the outdoor workers’ rate should be considered for increase in light of the ‘living wage’ rate movement. (November 2009 was the last time the rate was increased)

The clerk presented a draft budget for 2013-2014.

This showed an increase of £3,000 over the previous year. The current precept could be kept at £104,619 for the next year by using £16,000 of the Parish Council’s reserves. A further £10,000 could be added to the Capital reserve for the new pavilion.

The next F&GP committee would make the recommendation on the budgets to the January meeting of the full council.

72.  FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT

a) The budget to end of October 2012 was scrutinised & a completed copy of reconciled bank statement was signed by the Chairman & RFO

b) Balances

After the cheques below have been paid the balances on the council’s accounts as at

19TH November 2012 will be as follows:                                   Community       £1,019.48

Tracker             £126,417.19

Treasury           £60,425.24

73.                            SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS TO BE AUTHORISED

Cheque no. Payee Payment details Amount
Cheques paid
105592-97 GM/SW/JO/OCC/HMR&C Oct sal/wages/pen/PAYE/NICs 3194.27
d/d BNP Paribas Rental and admin fee 27.10.12 435.94
d/d Barclays Bank Bank Charges 13.09.12-14.10.12 40.72
105598 OCC Payment for grit bins 750.00
105599 ASDA Equipment etc for Youth Centre 987.87
Total £5,408.80
Cheques to Pay
105600 Swift Digital Services Photocopier usage18.07-17.10 182.90
105601 Berinsfield Community Business Verges October 2012 581.88
105602 Lyreco Stationary 71.42
105603 C Dalton Mileage to SODC 07.11.12 15.26
105604 Trinder and Son To fix office plug socket 50.00
105605 AON Insurance Extra for increase in Fid. Guar 83.26
105606 Clairelogic Computer check and router 199.20
105607 BT Telephone charges 164.58
GM/SW/JF/OCC/HMR&C Nov sal/wages/pen/PAYE/NICs 3,600.00
Total £4,948.50

INCOME RECEIVED SINCE LAST MEETING

Income details Amount
SODC precept 2nd instalment 52,304.50
OCC recharge – for verges 3,463.44
Newsletter Advertising 2,215.00
Allotments 30.00
Interest – Treasury Deposit 24.62
Interest – Tracker 13.11
Photocopying 3.60
Total £58,054.27

74.  PUBLICATIONS & CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED AND NOTED

i)        The Haseleys – Newsletter November  2012*

ii)        Little Milton Newsletter November 2012*

iii)        Great Milton Bulletin November  2012*

iv)        Holton, Waterperry & Waterstock News – November  2012*

v)        URC Newsletter November  2012*

vi)        Oxfordshire Rural Community Council Annual review 2011/2012*

vii)        CPRE ‘Countryside Voice’ Winter 2012-11-05

viii)        TVP Wheatley/Chalgrove Neighbourhood Team November 2012 Newsletter

ix)        Clerk and Councils Direct – November 2012*

x)        CPRE Oxfordshire – Oxfordshire Voice – Autumn 2012*

* On display in Parish Office

75.  DATE OF NEXT MEETING – 17th December 2012 – Noted