Home » Finance » Minutes of the Finance & General Purposes Committee 19th October 2015

Minutes of the Finance & General Purposes Committee 19th October 2015

Wheatley Parish Council

DRAFT – SUBJECT TO CONFIRMATION

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE FINANCE & GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE OF THE COUNCIL HELD ON MONDAY 19th OCTOBER 2015 IN THE MERRY BELLS COFFEE ROOM AT 7.30PM
PRESENT: Councillors P Gregory (Chairman), J Carr, A Davies, T Davies, P Hood, R J Reilly, P Willmott, G Stephens and T Newman (until 8.20pm)

OFFICER: THE CLERK: Gareth Morris

Also present: Cllr A Walkey and one member of the public

54. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE had been received from Cllr Birks

55. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – none

56. MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING HELD 21st SEPTEMBER 2015 which had been circulated previously were signed as a correct and accurate record

57. UPDATE ON ITEMS FROM THE MINUTES 21st SEPTEMBER 2015
i) Minute 38 – Vehicle Activated Signs – Cllr Gregory and the Clerk had met with a representative of MDMessagemaker who would inspect the sites and give a quote for the 4 signs and installation costs. The clerk would contact OCC Highways to find out their requirements.
ii) Minute 45 – Safety Inspection of Playgrounds. – work was continuing on implementing the recommendations from the Playground Inspector. The Clerk and Cllrs Gregory and Hood and visited Church Road recreation ground and were all perplexed as to what the Inspector was concerned about entrapment at the gates. One of the gates had been in use for decades and the Clerk knew of no incidents. The clerk would go back to the Inspector and ask for clarification.
iii) Minute 53 – Tender for tree work within the village – the work should start in November
iv) Minute 46(v) – Land Registry details – some addresses for the Parish Council were incorrect and would have to be changed. Also some of parcels of land were not registered at the Land Registry. This would have to done.

58. TO BEGIN THE BUDGET PROCESS FOR THE FINANCIAL YEAR 2016-2017
A Draft (1) Revised Budget 2015-2016 & Draft (1) Budget 2016-2017 had been circulated with the Agenda
The clerk explained that the Parish Council agrees its budget and precept at the January council meeting ready for submission to SODC
The clerk explained that he had added £1,000 for this year for expenditure on the Neighbourhood Plan. Councillors could suggest areas for expenditure (e.g. for the development of Farm Close Road recreation ground).or changes in the amounts proposed. It was pointed out that running down reserves each year was not desirable. Cllrs Newman and T Davies offered their assistance. The clerk agreed to allow for a ‘comments’ column on the budget papers and to circulate the budget summary that was agreed at the January 2014 meeting.
As far as expenditure/income for the neighbourhood plan, it was felt that this would have a neutral effect on the overall budget i.e. the same amount for income and for expenditure.

59. TO CONSIDER THE USE OF DOUBLE DECKER BUSES FOR SCHOOL TRANSPORT THROUGH THE VILLAGE – Cllr Gregory’s paper that expressed his concern that Walters Coaches had used double-decker buses going through the village for their school transport .had been circulated with the Agenda. These buses were not suited to the roads (Ladder Hill/Station Road/High Street/the Sun corner) and the speed through the village was also a cause for concern.
Agreed – Cllr Newman would take the concerns back to Wheatley Park School and the clerk to write to the OCC Schools Transport section and ask for a risk assessment on the use of double-deckers through Wheatley
8.20pm Cllr Newman left the meeting

60. TO CONSIDER THE CONDITION OF THE TREES WITHIN THE VILLAGE AND WHAT ACTIONS ARE NECESSARY
The Clerk had written to OCC Highways re overhangs at Howe Close/Ladder Hill junction, Crown Road to Orchard Close, Holloway Road and Crown Square

Trees along the footpath from Farm Close Road to Farm Close Lane. The clerk had received a reply from Shortlift Ltd who owns the land to the north who asked for local contractors who could deal with the trees. The householder to the south had admitted to ownership of those trees. But said he could not afford to deal with them.
It was suggested that the local contractor who dealt with trees on the north might be able to do something to those on the south

61. TO CONSIDER MATTERS RELATING TO THE LITTLEWORTH ALLOTMENTS
Cllr Gregory’s report on his inspection on the condition of the allotments had been circulated with the Agenda
Agreed to carry out Cllr Gregory’s recommendations and that the land by signed as Parish Council owned land. This should be considered for all the Council’s land.

62. TO CONSIDER THE REPORTS ON THE PARISH COUNCILLORS’ WALKS AROUND THE VILLAGE
Ambrose ditch – the clerk had asked Green Scythe to cut down and remove the cuttings. It would cost £875. It was Agreed that the clerk ask Green Scythe to do regular maintenance to that path and bank.
Cllr T Davies reported that the Flood group was thinking of calling a meeting of those residents who had been affected by flooding in the past to point out what the Parish Council had done in the past to try and alleviate the problem and that volunteers could be called on to clear the ditch etc.

Cherry tree replacement on Crown Road/Roman Rd junction. The clerk had received the OCC conditions that had to be adhered to for planting. The clerk was asked to find out. If these conditions applied to replacement planting.

63. CLERK UPDATE
i) Closure of Wheatley Branch, Barclays – the clerk reported that as the Post Office would not accept work from business that bank with Barclays it means that all monies that the council needs to pay in would have to be taken to Barclays branches in Thame/Cowley/Headington. Councillors suggested that they could help with this.

64. GRANTS, LICENCES AND SUBSCRIPTIONS
i) South and Vale Carers – 2014-216 5 carers and their families supported £200 in £2014-15. £200 AGREED
ii) Sue Ryder Nettlebed Hospice – £50 in 2014/15 – deferred until more information received
iii) Royal British Legion – wreath – £40 – AGREED
iv) Oxfordshire playing Fields Association (OPFA) 2015 Subscription – £50.00 AGREED
v) Oxfordshire Association for the Blind- £250 in 2014/15 -19 Wheatley residents helped £250 AGREED

65 FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
a) Budget to the end of September 2015 was noted
A completed copy of reconciled bank statement was signed by Chairman & RFO

b) Balances
After the cheques below have been paid the balances on the council’s accounts as at 19th October 2015 will be as follows:
Community £1,307.17
Tracker £138,428.32
Treasury £60,774.98

66. SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS TO BE AUTHORISED

Cheque no. Payee Payment details Amount
Cheques paid
106265-106270 GM/SW/JF/OCC/AR/HMR&C Sept sal/wages/NIC/Pension/exps 4333.58
Total £4,333.58
Cheques to Pay
106271 Sage UK Ltd Invoices/credit notes 102.96
106272 The Merry Bells Office rental 25.09.15-24.12.15 1,133.02
106273 Lyreco Envelopes & box files 50.58
106274 Mainstream Digital Calls,phone book entry, line rental 75.66
106275 Parchments Oct/Nov Newsletter 1,871.30
106276 Annette Richards Oct/Nov Newsletter 680.00
106277 Arbor Tree Specialists Trim hedge in Memorial Gardens 150.00
106278 Grzegorz Zasuwa Office window cleaning 5.00
105279 Green Scythe Recs cutting August 233.17
106281 Merry Bells Gas recharge April-Sept 35.15
106282 Southern Electric Electricity July – October 76.11
106280 Berinsfield Community Business Verges – Sept cut 608.33
106283 Ordnance survey Map Copying Licence 54.75
GM/SW/JF/AR/OCC/HMR&C Oct sal/wages/NIC/Pension/exps 4,500.00
Total £9,621.03
INCOME RECEIVED SINCE LAST MEETING

Income details Amount
Treasury Bill Interest 38.20
Tracker Account Interest 15.58
Photocopying 13.20
Newsletter Advertising 230.00
Newsletter subscription 37.50
Allotments 60.00
Wheatley Plying Field Trust – repayment 500.00

Total £894.48

67. PUBLICATIONS & CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED AND NOTED
i) The Haseleys – October 2015*
ii) Little Milton Newsletters –October 2015*
iii) Great Milton Bulletin – August 2015*
iv) URC Newsletter – October 2015*
v) Tiddington with Albury and Milton Common Newsletter Oct/Nov 2015
vi) TVP Neighbourhood Team October newsletter
vii) Oxford Brookes – Lectures, Exhibitions, Debates – What’s on at Brookes 2015/16
viii) International Tree Foundation –‘trees’ – Journal of ITF –Oct 2015*
ix) Local Council Review – Autumn 2015*
x) Holton, Waterperry & Waterstock News- October 2105

* On display in Parish Office

68. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – 16th November 2015 – NOTED

69. ITEMS FOR INFORMATION

• Cllr Davies – as Green Belt review included the primary school playing fields he felt that it would seem unlikely that the County Council would want to grant Village Green Status

Meeting closed at 8.58pm