Home » Full Council » Parish Council 6th September 2010

Parish Council 6th September 2010

WHEATLEY PARISH COUNCIL

MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF THE PARISH COUNCIL

HELD ON MONDAY 6th SEPTEMBER 2010 IN THE MERRY BELLS AT 7.30 pm

PRESENT: Councillors: R J Reilly (Chairman), J. M. Carr, G. Birks, R. T .Bell,

C Sprent, N Messenger, S Coleridge, A Knapp, C Dalton, M Fyffe (until 9.00 pm), J Coveley, E Stacey (until 9.30pm) & R Old

OFFICER: Gareth Morris, Clerk to the Parish Council

ALSO PRESENT: County Councillor Anne Purse and 5 members of the public

46. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE had been received from Cllrs Devlin and Willmott

47. MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 5th JULY 2010 which had been circulated previously were signed as a correct and accurate record.

48. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 5th JULY 2010

a) Minute 32(i) Traffic measures in Bell Lane – A letter had been sent to all Bell Lane

residents outlining the parish Council’s thinking. A number of replies have been received. This matter to be discussed at the next Trac meeting

b) Minute 41 – Tree in St Mary’s Close – This tree has now been attended to. The Parish  Council needs to keep the area tidy and all leaves beneath it and along the path from St Mary’s Close to Church Road need to be cleared up.

c) Minute 42 – Refurbishment of Cullum Road Recreation Area – Cllr Fife would contact  a Roger Davies re fencing and look into cat deterrents

49. THE MINUTES of the meetings of the Planning Committee held on the following dates

were received:

a) Wednesday 14th July, circulated previously

b) Wednesday 11th August, circulated with this Agenda

50. THE MINUTES of the meeting of the F&GP Committee meeting held on Monday 19th July 2010, previously circulated, were received.

a) Minute 35(iv) + (v)  – Cullum Road recreation ground (See above, Minute 48c)

b) Minute 37 – Traffic on Ladder Hill – a letter had been sent to Thames Valley Police. It

was agreed that the Council look to see if TVP runs a scheme whereby residents can

be trained to use ‘speed guns’

c) Minute 39 – Provision of a replacement Youth Shelter in Church Road recreation Area

The Chairman and Clerk had met with Jayne Bolton Grants Officer SODC to talk through the Community Investment Fund Grant Aid. The application form would now be filled in. Cllrs Fyffe and Stacey would look at the form.

51. TO APPROVE AN AMENDMENT TO THE ANNUAL STATEMENT OF ACCOUNTS  2009-2010

The Clerk explained that the fixed assets of the Council had been under-recorded in Box 9 of the Annual return. This had been picked up by the external auditor and the Annual return had been returned for alteration.  Therefore Box 9 (year ending 31 March 2010) needed to be increased by £28,392 to £217,656. The alteration to be initialled by the clerk and the amendment approved by the Council. Cllr Dalton proposed and Cllr Bell seconded that the alteration of Box 9 to read £217,656 be approved by the Council. This was AGREED unanimously.

52. TO CONSIDER THE TRANSFER OF LAND (FORMERLEY TOILET BLOCK LAND)  FROM SODC TO THE PARISH COUNCIL – PURCHASE PRICE £1.

Having now received the Land Transfer Agreement from SODC Council it was proposed by Cllr Reilly and seconded by Cllr Carr that the Parish Council proceeds with the purchase of the land for the sum of £1. This was Agreed unanimously

53. TO APPROVE THE REVIEW OF THE VILLAGE PLAN

A report from the Sub-group of Councillors had been circulated before the meeting and a slightly amended one had been tabled. There had been a number of meetings of the working/subgroups, including one attended by Jim Watson of the Wheatley Society. The draft report had been provided to the Wheatley Society.

Cllr Bell had also tabled a list of points.

After a full discussion the following resolutions were put to the meeting:

  • Adopt the summary of progress at Part A. Proposed by Cllr Birks and seconded by Cllr Carr – Agreed by 12 votes in favour, with none against and one abstention
  • Adopt Part B as the forward proposal of the Parish Plan. Proposed by Cllr Fyffe and seconded by Cllr Carr – Agreed by 12 votes in favour with one against, no abstentions.
  • To review the forward plan annually against priorities, resources and achievements. Proposed by Cllr Carr and seconded by Cllr Dalton – Agreed nem con.
  • The review would be publicised in the newsletter and on the Parish Council’s website.

8.43 The Chairman declared the Council out of session and asked the County and District

Councillors to make their reports and for members of the public to speak.

County Councillor Anne Purse – There had been changes to the strategic planning process in the country which might mean anomalies arising between the Districts and the County Council.

Speed Cameras – these had been switched off as part of the County Council’s expenditure cuts.

The new A40 road surface on the west bound carriageway does seem a lot quieter.

She was meeting County officers to see whether the solar panel by the Church Road bus shelter could be made less obtrusive, this following a complaint from a Church Road resident.

District Councillor Janet Carr – work on the stream east of Crown Square to try and prevent flooding had now been completed. Recycling figures had increased from 64.44% to 71.52%. Work on the refurbishment of the gym and reception area of the Park Sports Centre was about to begin.

8.59 The Chairman declared the Council back in session.

54. The Chairman proposed a vote of thanks to Cllrs Birks, Fyffe, Coleridge and Carr for their work on the review of the village plan. This was Agreed.

9.00pm Cllr Fyffe left the meeting

55. TO CONSIDER THE CONSULTATION DOCUMENT ‘PROVISION FOR REFERENDUMS TO VETO EXCESSIVE COUNCIL TAX INCREASES – consultation ends 10th September 2010. Responses to the Consultation Document were Agreed.

56. REPORTS FROM OUTSIDE BODIES

a) Neighbourhood Action Group – Cllr Reilly said he would raise the issue of the

training of residents to use ‘speed guns’ and the issue of the spate of graffiti that had

appeared around the village

b) The Howe Trust – Steps from Howe Close on to the Howe were about to be installed

and the 400 free saplings had been ordered from the Woodland Trust to be planted

during 2011.

c) Merry Bells Management Committee – Cllr Carr reported that the groundworks

outside the Merry Bells were now complete. Two new trees, with a life expectancy of

25 years would be installed in October/November and two new benches had been ordered. The steps and alleyway between the Merry Bells and Barclays Bank, the Coffee Room and the corridor would be the next projects undertaken.

The Chairman proposed that a letter be sent to the Merry Bells Committee saying how much the parish Council likes the new forecourt especially as it relates to the Parish Council office. This was Agreed nem con.

9.30pm Cllr Stacey left the meeting

57. TO CONSIDER MATTERS RELATING TO WHEATLEY PARK SPORTSFIELD  MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

Cllr bell reported that no response had been received from the SODC Planning Department concerning the proposed new pavilion.

58. TO CONSIDER REQUESTS FOR GRANT AID FROM:

a) Wheatley Park School – prizes for awards evening – Agreed £180

b) Wheatley Village produce Association – Agreed £100 contribution to printing

costs of photographic booklet of the Associations activities

59. CORRESPONDENCE – noted

i) OCC Local Transport Plan 3 – Newsletter – Issue 4 – July 2010*

ii) CPRE – ‘Countryside Voice’ – Summer 2010*

iii) ORCC – Invitation to 90th birthday AGM – 333 Banbury Road – Friday 8th October 2010 – 11.30am to 3.30pm

iv) Oxfordshire Playing Fields Association – Newsletter – Summer 2010

v) OCC – Revised 280 bus service – every 20 minutes from Sept 12th*

vi) ORCC – Celebrating 90 Years of Community Life in Rural Oxfordshire*

vii) Thames Valley Local Resilience Forum – “Preparing for Emergencies”*

viii) NHS Oxfordshire – Health news July 2010*

ix) SODC – Minutes of Standards Committee meeting – 15th July 2010*

x) OCC – E-mail from Malcolm Bowler re Church Road traffic order. This Order is unlikely to be implemented due to County Council Expenditure cuts – Agreed Cllr Birks to draft a reply

xi) OCC – ‘Big Debate’ public meetings – 7th September 7.30pm County Hall

xii) Clerks and Council’s Direct September 2010*

* on display in Parish Council

60. CALENDAR OF MEETINGS – Noted

a)    Planning Committee – Wednesday 15th September 2010 – 7.30pm

b)    F&GP Committee – Monday 27th September 2010 – 7.30pm

c)    Planning Committee  – Wednesday 13th October 2010 – 7.30pm

d)    F&GP Committee – Monday 18th October 2010 – 7.30pm

e)    Parish Council – Monday 1st November 2010 – 7.30pm

The meeting closed at 9.45pm