WHEATLEY PARISH COUNCIL
MINUTES OF THE EXTRA ORDINARY MEETING OF THE PARISH COUNCIL
HELD ON WEDNESDAY 3rd FEBRUARY 2016 IN THE MERRY BELLS HALL AT 7.00PM
PRESENT: Councillors: G Stephens (Chairman), R Bell (from 7.20pm), P Willmott, P Gregory, P Bignell, R Reilly (from 7.21pm), I Roberts, T Newman (from 7.06pm), S Coleridge, T Davies and T Davies
OFFICERS: Gareth Morris, Clerk to the Parish Council
Also present: 4 members of the public
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE had been received from Cllrs Carr and Walkey
- DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – None
- MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING HELD ON 4TH JANUARY 2106 which had been circulated previously were signed as a correct and accurate record
- TO CONSIDER NOMINATING THAT THE RAILWAY PUBLIC HOUSE, GARDENS AND ASSOCIATED CAR PARKING, STATION ROAD, WHEATLEY, BE LISTED BY SODC AS AN ASSET OF COMMUNITY VALUE
Councillors initially made a number of points; why do this now? What about the Children’s Centre? Did the council really see it as a successful public house? Was the council preventing future housing development?
Cllr Newman explained that if the building/land nominated was offered for sale in the next 5 years then the Parish Council could delay the sale by no more than six weeks to see if the community would like to bid for the asset at market value. There would then be a period of 6 months to try and raise the necessary funds. The owners are under no obligation to sell the asset to the Parish Council
The Chairman said that site was of huge importance to the village; the car parking space could be immensely important to the village and it could a green route from the one end of the village to the other.
Cllr Gregory said that the proposal doesn’t commit the Parish Council to any spending at the moment. It is just putting down a marker.
Cllr Newman confirmed that the nomination could be renewed after five years
7.20pm – The Chairman declared the council out of session and invited the members of the public present to speak on the issue
Mr John Fox – drew attention to the usefulness of The Railway site in contributing towards a green route through to the Primary Academy.
7.22pm – The Chairman declared the council back in session
Cllr Bell reported that he had spoken to a representative of Fullers’ who he had seen at the building. The representative had said that ‘Fullers do not sell pubs’ and that they were looking for another tenant. The authority and identity of the person giving this information was uncertain.
Cllr Newman proposed and Cllr T Davies seconded, that the Parish Council applies to SODC to register the Railway public house, gardens and associated car parking, Station Road, Wheatley, as an Asset of Community Value.
Also the clerk be asked to contact Fuller’s Brewery to secure the car park against any unwanted trespass
This was AGREED with ten votes in favour and one abstention
- DATE OF NEXT MEETING – MONDAY 7th MARCH 2016 – NOTED
- ITEMS FOR INFORMATION
- The clerk announced that as there had not been a request for an election to replace Cllr Birks, the Parish Council would be able to co-opt a new councillor at the Parish Council meeting on 7th March
- Cllr Davies requested that the Chairman of the Neighbourhood Plan group be informed that the pub site could be listed as a potential housing site so that it could be passed on to the housing sub-group.
The meeting closed at 7.30pm