WHEATLEY PARISH COUNCIL
MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF THE PARISH COUNCIL
HELD ON MONDAY 10th JANUARY 2011 IN THE MERRY BELLS AT 7.30 pm
PRESENT: Councillors: R J Reilly (Chairman), G. Birks, R. T .Bell, C Sprent,
N Messenger, S Coleridge, C Dalton, M Fyffe (until 8.55pm), P Willmott, J Coveley, P Devlin, and A Knapp (from 9.00pm)
OFFICER: Gareth Morris, Clerk to the Parish Council
ALSO PRESENT: 8 members of the public
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE had been received from Cllrs Carr and Old and County Councillor Purse; Cllr Knapp would be late.
- MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 1st NOVEMBER 2010 which had been circulated with the Agenda were signed as a correct and accurate record
- MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 1ST NOVEMBER 2010
i) Minute 76 – Brookes University – Parking at the Wheatley Campus
The clerk reported on a meeting he had attended a meeting at Thame Police Station with at which Brookes University and Anne Purse had been present. It was reported that the County Council would be removing the central white lines from the stretch of Waterperry Road north of the campus and would put a solid white lines on the inside of the carriage way an the bends in the road. A further meeting would be held on 12th January at Thame Police Station
ii) Minute 77 – Transfer of land in Wheatley High Street from SODC. Upon payment of £1 this land would now be owned by the Parish Council
- THE MINUTES of the meetings of the Planning Committee held on the following dates were received:
i) Wednesday 10TH November 2010, circulated previously
ii) Wednesday 8th December 2010, which had been circulated with the Agenda
Minute 62 – the clerk would try to ascertain the time scale for the Enforcement Notices
- THE MINUTES of the meetings of the F&GP Committee meetings held on the following dates were received:
(i) Monday 15th November 2010, previously circulated
(ii) Monday 13th December 2010, which had been circulated with the Agenda
87. TO RESOLVE TO APPROVE THE PARISH COUNCIL REVISED BUDGET FOR 2010-2011 AND THE PARISH COUNCIL BUDGET AND PRECEPT FOR 2011-2012 AS RECOMMENDED BY F&GP ON 13TH DECEMBER.
The F&GP Committee had recommended that the precept for 2011-2012 be raised to £104,619 (up from £94, 619 for 2010-2011).
The 3rd draft had been circulated with the £3,000 added to Section 137 Grants heading and an extra £7,000 to pedestrian and traffic safety (though this would transferred to the Capital Spending heading. It was pointed out that the extra £5,000 added to the Sportsfield Management Committee and the capital spend on the prospective youth shelter had been funded from the reserves of the Parish Council.
Cllr Reilly proposed and Cllr Birks seconded that the revised budget for 2010-2011 and the budget for 2011-2012 as recommended by the F&GP committee and as amended by the clerk be approved. This was unanimously AGREED
88. TO CONSIDER THE SOUTH OXFORDSHIRE PROPOSED SUBMISSION CORE STRATEGY
The Parish office had one hard copy and it could also be found at www.southoxon.gov.uk/corestrategy and clicking on the Proposed Submission Core Strategy link. The consultation lasts until Friday 21st January 2011.
Cllr Birks proposed and Cllr Fyffe seconded that the council submits its previous objections to Core Strategy as it pertain to the review of the Green Belt around Wheatley.
The resolution was Agreed by 10 votes in favour to 1 against.
Cllr Birks requested that the names of those voting be recorded.
Those in favour were Cllrs Reilly, Willmott, Birks, Coveley, Sprent, Coleridge, Dalton, Messenger, Fyffe and Devlin and those against Cllr Bell.
89. TO CONSIDER A RESPONSE TO THE IMMINENT PLANNING APPLICATION FROM OXFORD CITY COUNCIL TO A WIND TURBINE ON OXFORD CITY LAND AT OXFORD ROAD, HORSPATH
It was Agreed by 10 votes to 0 with 1 abstention that the Parish Council support Horspath parish Council in its objection to the siting of this wind turbine.
90. TO RESPOND TO OXFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL LOCAL TRANSPORT PLAN 3 –The County Council had given the PC two extra days to respond to this consultation (officially closed on 9th January) due to the timing of the Parish Council’s meeting. Cllr Birks tabled a draft response which was unanimously adopted. It was agreed to submit the Parish Council’s response to the County Council.
91. TO CONSIDER A RESPONSE TO OXFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL’S LETTER (from Mr Bowler) THAT THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE CHURCH ROAD MEASURES ‘REMAIN ON HOLD’
Following the Parish Council’s letters to the bus companies, the Arriva Bus Company sent the Parish Council a copy of their letter to the County Council supporting the measures.
It was Agreed to reiterate the Parish Council’s case and press to be supplied with costings.
8.35pm The Chairman declared the Council out of session and invited comment from the floor
Three residents from Anson Close were present to voice their complaints over Brookes’ students causing parking problems in their close. The Chairman replied that the police and the County Council were aware of the problem and there had been a meeting with Oxford Brookes, and further ones planned, to urge the university to press for more parking on site and to discourage students from parking anti-socially.
Mr Christopher Sprent, Church Warden, was present to give information on the remaining burial space in the Church yard. He stated that there were 60 grave spaces left, which could at the present rate of burials, for another 10 years.
He suggested that the parish Council might like to write to the Diocese to suggest that the bottom part of the vicarage garden, which adjoins the Church cemetery, is used. He thought the Diocese would require payment for the land.
8.55pm Cllr Fyffe left the meeting
The Chairman announced that he had had a meeting with the person in charge of the ‘Community Payback Scheme’ and he hoped a group would be coming to the village shortly and remove the graffiti that had appeared over the Christmas and New Year period
9.00pm The Chairman declared the Council back in session and Cllr Knapp joined the meeting
92. TO CONSIDER PLANNING FOR THE NECESSITY TO PROVIDE EXTRA CEMETERY SPACE WITHIN THE NEXT TEN YEARS
It was Agreed to refer Mr Sprent’s suggestion to the next F&GP meeting
- REPORTS FROM OUTSIDE BODIES
a) Neighbourhood Action Group – Cllr Reilly gave a brief report on the last meeting
b) The Howe Trust – Cllr Dalton gave a brief update
c) Merry Bells Management Committee – no report
94. TO CONSIDER MATTERS RELATING TO WHEATLEY PARK SPORTSFIELD MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
Cllr Bell reported that the Parish Council had been furnished with the 2011-2012 budget.
A response had been received (on 10th November) from SODC on the proposed pavilion development. Not surprisingly SODC were not keen on the proposed positioning. Mr Uzzell (WPSFMC planning consultant) recommends that the replacement building goes by the fence.
A meeting had also been held with the new Oxfordshire County Council Officer dealing with the joint use scheme.
- CALENDAR OF MEETINGS – NOTED
a) Planning Committee – Wednesday 12th January 2011 – 7.30pm
b) F&GP Committee – Monday 24th January 2011 – 7.30pm
c) Planning Committee – Wednesday 9th February 2011 – 7.30pm
d) F&GP Committee – Monday 21st February 2011 – 7.30pm
e) Parish Council – Monday 7th March 2011– 7.30pm
96. RESOLUTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC
Cllr Birks proposed and Cllr Devlin seconded that:
“Under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the public be excluded on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph X of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Act, namely private contractual and employment matters”
97. THE MINUTES OF THE CONFIDENTIAL SESSION HELD DURING THE MEETING OF THE F&GP COMMITTEE ON 15TH NOVEMBER WERE RECEIVED
98. THE MINUTES OF THE CONFIDENTIAL SESSION HELD DURING THE MEETING OF THE F&GP COMMITTEE ON 13TH DECEMBER WERE RECEIVED
99. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF THE CONFIDENTIAL SESSIONS HELD DURING THE ABOVE MEETINGS – None
The meeting closed at 9.20pm