Home » Minutes » Traffic and Roads Advisory Committee 18th February 2015

Traffic and Roads Advisory Committee 18th February 2015

 

WHEATLEY PARISH COUNCIL

 

 

 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE TRAFFIC AND ROADS ADVISORY COMMITTEE (TRAC) OF THE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON WEDNESDAY 18th FEBRUARY 2015 IN THE MERRY BELLS HALL AT 7.30 PM

 

 

PRESENT: Councillors: R J Reilly (Chairman), Carr, Dalton, Birks, Lamont, Stephens, Coveley and

                   Bell

 

Officer: The Clerk

 

Also present: Cty Cllr Ann Purse and 5 members of the public

 

 

  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE had been received from Cllrs Davies

 

 

  1. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – None

 

 

  1. MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF 7th January 2015 – which had been circulated previously were signed as a correct and accurate record

 

 

  1. UPDATE ON MINUTES OF 27th January 2015
  2. i) Minute 50(i) – Footway around the Roundhouse and new entrance in to recreation ground – The double yellow lines around the corner had still not been re-instated
  3. ii) Minute 50(iii) – Land by old toilet block. OCC Highways had responded saying that it would not be possible to extend the corner because according to their definitive maps the extent of the public highway is only a footpath width.

The clerk reported that between 2006 and 2009 the Parish Council had attempted to take adverse possession of the land in front of the old toilet block.

At the Parish Council meeting of May 2009 a letter from Mr Barnatt (the Parish Council’s solicitor at the time) was read suggesting that before he sent the additional £190 cheque to the Land Registry the Parish Council might like to consider a recent not dissimilar case where the land Registry had refused adverse possession.

It had been agreed to discontinue our claim through Mr Barnatt and tell him not to send the £190 to the Land Registry.

It was AGREED that this matter be placed on the next F&GP Agenda

  • iii) Minute 58 – Disabled parking space outside the chemists – an e-mail from a resident, stating that a disabled parking space was not necessary as those displaying a disabled person badge could park on double yellow lines.

 

 

  1. TO CONSIDER THE COST AND LOCATION OF VEHICLE ACTIVATED SIGNS

The Finance and general Purposes Committee at its January meeting agreed to fund a fourth VAS to be located at the bottom of Ladder Hill (facing north).

It was Agreed that the signs on Ladder Hill should be attached to:

  1. i) The post at the top of Ladder Hill Northbound into the village. Number is obliterated but it is just before the downward incline and currently has our Police speeding area sign attached and
  2. ii) Bottom of Ladder Hill going south (Uphill) on post numbers 9 which is opposite the entrance to Howe Close.

 

 

  1. TO CONSIDER OXFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL’S CONSULTATION ON

             THE LOCAL TRANSPORT PLAN 4.

OCC has opened consultation on the draft of Connecting Oxfordshire, the new Local Transport Plan for Oxfordshire. You can access the consultation by following the links on the Connecting Oxfordshire web page: www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/connectingoxfordshire

 

The Connecting Oxfordshire policies and strategies are presented in several volumes. Their contents are outlined on the consultation web page, and are summarised briefly below:

 

  • Volume 1 describes the overarching policies and objectives for the development of transport in Oxfordshire until 2031
  • Volume 2.1 is the Oxford Transport Strategy
  • Volume 2.2 are area strategies for locations that we have identified as areas likely to be affected by growth as a result of the new Oxfordshire Strategic Economic Plan
  • Volume 3 is the Science Transit plan, which looks at how we can work with industry and researchers in Oxfordshire to develop new, future ideas for improving transport
  • Volume 4 contains our strategies for cycling, freight and bus transport across Oxfordshire.
  • Volume 5 is the Environmental Report containing an assessment of the potential environmental impact of implementing our proposed strategies.

 

It was AGREED that a review of the paths and cycle routes through the village should be reviewed. This to be placed on the next TRAC agenda.

 

 

  1. TO CONSIDER THE SAFETY CONCERNS FOR PEDESTRIANS AT THE PARK HILL/LONDON ROAD PEDESTRIAN CROSSINGS

Mr Francis had responded in January that Further to the site meeting in July 2014, a further meeting at the site took place in December 2014 which was attended by the developer’s consultants, a representative of Thames Valley Police, myself and Anthony Kirkwood to review safety at the site. No specific safety issues were identified at this meeting, the site has been closely monitored following the installation of the crossings and no injury accidents have been reported.

 

We appreciate the Parish Councils concerns and propose to install pedestrian crossing warning signs on the approaches to the crossing from both the London Road direction and Holton direction, these should be installed in the near future. We will continue to monitor the site but unfortunately we have no funding available for further measures at this time”.

 

The committee was disappointed with this response. Councillors were under the impression that they would be invited to this meeting and weren’t. The Parish Council should put pressure on the Highways to make sure that the signs promised were actually installed. The suggestions made re improving site lines should again be pressed for. Brookes University said that they would undertake a review of the scheme. The County should be asked if that review has taken place and if it hasn’t are they going to undertake it.

 

 

  1. PEDESTRIAN CROSSING AT JUNCTION OF STATION ROAD AND HIGH STREET.

               In his e-mail of January 2015 Mr Francis went on to say “Tony and I have also visited the proposed pedestrian crossing site in Station Road, we considered there to be significant site constraints which would make the installation of a crossing at this location extremely difficult, I have researched the personal injury accident history at this location and can confirm that there have been no such accidents within the last five years.”

                 The committee was again disappointed with the County Council’s response. It was agreed that a letter should be sent thanking them for their response but stating that the Parish Council does not accept their reasoning and they believe that this is a dangerous crossing point for pedestrians making their way to the Primary school and to the shops.

 

 

 

  1. TO REPORT ON PROGRESS IN THE ALTERATIONS TO THE BELL LANE/ STATION ROAD JUNCTION

       The F&GP committee had agreed the new price for the alterations to the corner. It would now cost £5,049.99 net of VAT.

The clerk had been assured by Mark Francis that a VAT receipt would sent when the Parish Council’s check was received and the money would not be lost should he work continue in to the next financial year.

 

 

  1. TO REPORT ON PROGRESS ON THE EXTENSION OF YELLOW LINES ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF CHURCH ROAD BETWEEN FRIDAY LANE AND HOLLOWAY ROAD.

       The clerk had spoken to Mark Francis (OCC Highways) and between them they had agreed that there would be three additional stretches of double yellow lines – one would be across the entrance to the Merry Bells car park and the remaining two would remove two car parking spaces. This would allow buses to pull in to the left to avoid oncoming traffic. Mr Francis was about to apply for Traffic Order.

 

 

  1. TO CONSIDER THE CLOSURE OF FRIDAY LANE FOR UP TO FIVE MONTHS

The closure of this road was causing a great deal of unrest amongst residents in the

east end of the village who lived along the diversion route and High Street traders

who had lost a substantial amount of trade. Councillors and residents had been pressing for better signage to warn motorists of the pedestrians along the stretch of Crown Road without a pavement and even to rescind the road closure. County Councillor Nimmo-Smith (Cabinet Member for Transport) and Mr Peter Ronald (OCC Highways Officer) had paid site visits in recent days to see for themselves.

 

 

  1. TO CONSIDER THE RECENT IMPLICATIONS OF THE ROAD WORKS ON LONDON ROAD (WEST)

       On Monday 9th Feb the traffic lights were moved to the junction of London Road and Holloway Road. These caused gridlock in Wheatley on Monday evening and again on the Tuesday morning with tailbacks on to the A40. The clerk contacted the Highways Department to report the matter. In the meantime Wheatley Park School reported that parents stuck on the A40 were letting their children out to walk to school

It is understood that OCC did send somebody out to investigate and the delays had not been as serious since. The work would be continuing for two more weeks or so.

 

 

  1. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – Wednesday 15th April 2015 – Noted

 

 

 

 

The meeting closed at 8.48pm