Home » Finance » F&GP Committee Minutes 17th May 2010

F&GP Committee Minutes 17th May 2010

Wheatley Parish Council

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE FINANCE & GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE OF THE COUNCIL HELD ON MONDAY 17th MAY 2010 IN THE PARISH OFFICE AT 7.30PM

PRESENT: Councillors:  G Birks (Chairman), P Devlin (retiring Chairman), R Bell, J Reilly & M Fyffe, (from 8.10 pm)

OFFICER THE CLERK: Gareth Morris

MEMBERS HAD BEEN REMINDED BY MEANS OF THE AGENDA THAT IF THEY   HAD AN INTEREST TO DECLARE IN ANY AGENDA ITEM, THEY SHOULD DO SO IN ADVANCE OF THE MEETING IN THE BOOK PROVIDED FOR THIS PURPOSE. There were no such declarations

1.  ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN

Cllr Birks was proposed by Cllr Reilly and seconded by Cllr Stacey. There being no other nominations, Cllr Birks was declared Chairman.

She thanked Cllr Devlin for his work as Chairman over the past 12 months, especially for taking the initiative in setting up a Parish Council website.

2.  ELECTION OF VICE-CHAIRMAN

Cllr Stacey was proposed by Cllr Reilly and seconded by Cllr Birks. There being no other nominations, Cllr Stacey was declared Vice-Chairman.

The Chairman also paid tribute to Cllr Reilly for so ably standing in when the previous Chairman was unable to attend.

3. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE had been received from Cllrs Carr and Coleridge.

4.  MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING held on the 19th April 2010, which had been

circulated previously were signed as a correct and accurate record with the amendment

to the title of Minute 5, changing “COMMUNITY” to “PARISH COUNCIL”

5.  MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES  19th April 2010

i)  Minute 132(i)   – Ex toilet block land – No further information had come from SODC

It was agreed to defer discussion on Item 6 (Cullum Road Recreation Ground) until Cllr Fyffe arrived

6.  TO REPORT ON PROGRESS ON THE PROVISION OF A PARISH COUNCIL WEB SITE

The Clerk reported that the new web site was now ‘live’. He was putting the Agendas for meetings on the site as well as names of Parish, District and County Councillors and links to OCC and SODC. News items such as the new Chairman and Parish Councillor had also been added. Minutes of meetings would be added after they had been approved.

He urged Parish Councillors to view the site and make suggestions for extra links etc.

The more people who accessed the site the higher up the ‘Google’ list it would appear.

8. TO CONSIDER THE PURCHASE OF A DOG BIN ALONG THE FOOTPATH BEHIND BARLOWS CLOSE.

This follows a request from SODC who had received a complaint from a resident.

Agreed that a further dog bin be purchased and located at the Littleworth Road end of the path, opposite the Primary School.

9.  TO CONSIDER THE OCC LOCAL TRANSPORT PLAN 3 (2011-2030) Consultation 5: Scenarios

Scenarios Consultation Drop in Event – Oxford Thurs 27 May 2010 – 5.00 PM – 7.00PM

Common Hall Café, County Hall.  End of consultation 20th June 2010 (see enclosed papers. View complete document either in Parish Office or at http://myconsultations.oxfordshire.gov.uk/

This matter to be referred to the next Trac meeting to be held on Monday 14th June.

10.  TO CONSIDER THE REPLACEMENT OF THE CHURCH ROAD RECREATION   GROUND’S YOUTH SHELTER

A quote had been received from Monster Play Systems for £9,740.75 including fixing and steel base plate (inc VAT). Agreed that the Parish Council investigate sources of external funding. Cllr Stacey offered to look into possible sources.

11.  CLERK UPDATE

i) Seat on Farm Close Road – This had now been installed

ii)        Kelly’s Road Allotments – The excess vegetation had been removed from one of the allotments. There needed to be more done to the allotment before it could be re-let. Councillors were urged to visit the site. Some councillors felt that an increase in rents would now be in order to bring them more in to line with other allotment sites.

iii)        Trees within the village – The sycamore trunk against the Templar’s Close fence in Church Road Recreation area and the diseased tree in the Memorial Gardens had been felled and an aerial survey of its neighbour undertaken.

Also the hedge on the east side of the footpath up from Farm Close Road had been trimmed and the ivy etc had been taken from a tree further up to allow the light from the new lamp to travel further up the path.

St Mary’s Close – a meeting with Mr Harris of Tree Care Associates had been arranged for Saturday 5th June. Cllrs Dalton, Devlin and Reilly to attend

iv)        Lights within the village – reply from SOHA to the request for an extra light by the garages on the path up from the Avenue, saying that the cost of provision would be considerable and difficult to justify for the benefit gained. Agreed to put this item in abeyance for the moment.

It was further Agreed to withhold payment from OCC for the light on the path by Farm Close Road Recreation Ground until the trench across the path had been tarmaced and the yellow plate removed

v)        Project for year six of the Primary School – agreed to provide plants for planting in the planter by the High Street shops.

vi)        To consider the desire of Asda to be ‘more involved in the community’ – suggested that Asda be asked for funding towards the provision of a Youth shelter on Church Road recreation Area.

8.10 pm Cllr Fyffe joined the meeting

vii)        Change to bank mandate – agreed to add Cllr Reilly to list of signatories (in place of Cllr Fyffe)

viii)        2009-2010 Accounts  – visit of internal auditor Friday 18th June – The Annual Return has to be approved by the Parish Council no later than 30th June 2010.

It was agreed that, provisionally, the Annual Return could be approved at a Special Parish Council meeting at 8.00pm on Monday 21st June. The F&GP meeting held at that date to be suspended and then resumed.

ix)        Accident High St/Bell Lane junction Thursday 13th May – possible changes to vehicle movements through Bell Lane to be considered at the next Trac meeting

12.     TO REPORT PROGRESS RE REFURBISHMENT OF CULLUM ROAD  RECREATION GROUND

i)              Extra items – Cllr Fyffe reported on the need for additional items to be provided eg seat (in Memory of John Spence – replacing the one removed) and table and extra planting and trellis. It was felt that ‘motor bike inhibitor etc would not be effective in preventing the small cycles from gaining access. Cllr Fyffe and the Clerk to meet to decide the amount of finance available and if sufficient to go ahead and purchase the items.

ii)             Letters from resident complaining about the footballs being kicked against their garden fence. The Committee felt that as playing football was extremely popular the goal area would not be removed but some form of protection to the fence would be sought (eg extra planting). Signs had been erected saying that motorcycles should not be ridden in the recreation ground.

The Committee believed that the improvements had led to a much pleasanter and inviting community space which was enjoying increased usage. They, therefore, did not wish to remove or change any of the items but would monitor the situation over the next months and then consider whether changes needed to be made.

The Clerk was asked to reply to the complainants with the committees views and request that any future e-mails be sent to the Parish Office, rather than direct to individual Councillors so that a complete record can be kept of residents’ views. Such e-mails are reported to the Chairman and to the committees.

iii)         Letter from resident requesting that the parish Council consider selling to them and their neighbour to area of one of the entrances that had now blocked off by gates at both ends. This item would be considered further at the next F&GP Committee meeting. The Clerk to reply to the resident to that effect.

12. TO CONSIDER A REQUEST FROM THE CITY OF OXFORD SILVER BAND TO USE THE MEMORIAL GARDENS FOR A CONCERT ONE SUNDAY AFTERNOON IN AUGUST

AGREED to permit the use of the Memorial Gardens for the concert; to allow a collection to take place and to grant £50 towards the event under Section 145, Local Government Act 1972

13.  GRANTS, LICENCES AND SUBSCRIPTIONS – None

14.  FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT

a) The budget to March 2010 was scrutinised by the Committee

b) Balances

After the cheques below have been paid the balances on the council’s accounts was  as follows:                                                                      Community       £8,951.28

Tracker           £37,780.12

Treasury        £59,937.34

SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS AUTHORISED

Cheque no. Payee Payment details Amount
Cheques paid
105094,6-9 GM/SW/JF/OCC/HMR&C April sal/wages/pen/PAYE/NICs 3,513.31
105095 Ox-Design (Jonathan Crowe) Web hosting 72.00
105100 WPSFM 1st instalment 2010-2011 2,000.00
105101 Playsafety Ltd RoSPA Inspection of Cullum Rd 464.13
105102 Ox Design (Jonathan Crowe) Remaining amount for website 378.00
105103 Berinsfield Business Community Verges,recs,FCR patio –July inv 762.92
Total £7,190.36
Cheques to Pay
105104 Sage Accounting stationary 69.81
105105 Berinsfield Community Business Verges and Recs April 2011 804.87
105106 Ken Watts Installation of seat at Farm Cl Rd 446.50
105106 Ken Watts Clearing of Allotments 940.00
105107 OCC Lampost – FCRd/KHDr 4,754.09
105108 Falcon Signs Parish Council office sign 42.30
105109 Anthony Stiff Associates Cullum Rd Recreation area 1,703.75
105109 Kavan Ring Trees Mem Gardens/Ch Rd Rec 600.00
105110 BT Telephone 12/2 – 13/5 140.65
Active Installations Cullum Rec Area – final payment 40,535.08
GM/SW/JF/OCC/HMR&C April sal/wages/pen/PAYE/NICs 3,400.00
Total £53,437.05

INCOME RECEIVED SINCE LAST MEETING

Income details Amount
Newsletter Advertising 1,583.91
Total £1,583.91

15.  PUBLICATIONS & CORRESPONDENCE NOTED

i)        ORCC Review – Spring/Summer 2010*

ii)        Clerks and Councils Direct*

iii)        The Soldiers of Oxfordshire Military Museum, Woodstock – Exhibition “Winston Churchill, Oxfordshire Hussar, 1901-1965”*

iv)        Fusion Youth and Community UK- letter of thanks

v)        OCC – Home2School –Newsletter – Summer 2010*

vi)        SODC – Minutes of the Standards Committee 14.04.10*

vii)        Great Milton Bulletin May 2010*

viii)        NHS Oxfordshire – Health News Issue 1 2010*

ix)        Brookes University Residents Associations’ meeting – Wednesday 2nd June at 6.30 pm, Gipsy Lane site

x)        ORCC – Two invites to its 90th Birthday party at the Abingdon Four Pillars Hotel on Saturday 3rd July 2010 at 10.00 am to 2.00 pm

* On display in Parish Office

16.  DATE OF NEXT MEETING  –  21st June 2010 – Noted

NB Provisionally to meet before a special meeting of full council to approve the 2009 –  2010 accounts

As the time was 9.35 pm it was Agreed to defer the items of confidential business until the next meeting.

Meeting closed at 9.35 pm