Home » Finance » Finance and General Purposes Committee 15th Novemebr 2010

Finance and General Purposes Committee 15th Novemebr 2010

Wheatley Parish Council

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE FINANCE & GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE OF THE COUNCIL HELD ON MONDAY 15th NOVEMBER 2010 IN THE PARISH OFFICE AT 7.30PM

PRESENT: Councillors:  G Birks (Chairman), S Coleridge, R Old, J Reilly, J Carr, R Bell,

P Devlin, M Fyffe & E Stacey

OFFICER THE CLERK: Gareth Morris

MEMBERS HAD BEEN REMINDED BY MEANS OF THE AGENDA THAT IF THEY   HAD AN INTEREST TO DECLARE IN ANY AGENDA ITEM, THEY SHOULD DO SO IN ADVANCE OF THE MEETING IN THE BOOK PROVIDED FOR THIS PURPOSE. There were no such declarations

75. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – None

76. MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF 27TH SEPTEMBER were signed as a correct and accurate record with the addition of Cllr E Stacy to those present and the deletion of the second Cllr S Coleridge (These minutes had been tabled at the F & GP’s last meeting but not signed).

77.  MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING – 18th OCTOBER 2010 which had been tabled at Parish Council meeting  of November 1st were signed as a correct and accurate record

78. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES  27th SEPTEMBER   2010

i) Minute 55(i) – Real time bus information – A resident had reported that the solar panel and post at the Church Road bus shelter was to be taken down. The clerk had checked with the County Council and they had confirmed this but had said that a standard real time timetable would replace it.

79. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES  18th October  2010

i) Minute 63(i) – Grit Bins in the Village – the County Council had been asked to look at the additional location on Crown Road and had been asked about the material placed in the bins. No reply had been received.

ii)   Minute 63(ii) – Wheatley Information Booklet – the clerk had ordered an extra 100 copies. The cost of cost printing 2,100 copies is £801.He had received a copy from Parchment for proof reading.

iii) Minute 63(iii) – Oxford City’s Management of Shotover Park. Cllr Devlin had been in touch with Martin Harris of Horspath. It was Agreed that Wheatley supports Horspath’s position in seeking better management of the Park.

iv) Minute 69(iv) – Christmas tree – 14’ Norway spruce £112 + £35 transport. Agreed. An extension cable and further lights would be purchased

80. TO CONSIDER A REVISED BUDGET FOR 2010-2011 AND A DRAFT BUDGET FOR 2011– 2012 WITH A VIEW TO MAKING A RECOMMENDATION TO FULL COUNCIL ON 10th JANUARY 2011

The figures for a revised budget 2010-2011 and a budget for 2011-2012 had been circulated with the Agenda.

Suggestions were made for changes to the figures provided e.g. office rental for 2011-2012 was likely to be more than estimated and the amount for the Sportsfield Management Committee was likely to be higher due to the cost of submitting a planning application for the pavilion development.

It was the feeling of the meeting that the Parish Council should be prepared to increase the precept because:

  • The County Council may require parishes to undertake work that they (the County Council) had previously undertaken.
  • The new Localism Act was likely to give Parish Councils greater powers/responsibilities

It should be noted that the precept had not risen in the previous year and that whilst being exempt from a freeze on its precept the Parish Council could not be certain that one would not be imposed in the future. Councillors were asked to consider what projects might be taken on in 2011-12 eg traffic and pedestrian safety measures.

Parish Council newsletter advertising charges for 2011-12

Due to the fact that VAT was to increase to 20% on 4th January 2011 and advertising prices had not been increased for 6 years the committee felt an increase in price was needed. There was a full discussion on the scale of the rise.

Cllr Devlin proposed and Cllr Birks seconded the following prices (gross of VAT):

Quarter page – £25 –  Agreed by 7 votes in favour to 2 against

Half page – £35    –     Agreed unanimously

Full page – £55     –    Agreed unanimously

81. TO CONSIDER THE RENEWAL OF THE EDITORSHIP OF THE NEWSLETTER FROM JANUARY 2011

It was Agreed appoint Jim Watson as editor of the newsletter for 2011

The Clerk reported that Mr Clive Durbin who had prepared the newsletter for the printers for a number of years would cease to do it after the December/January issue. It was Agreed that Mr Watson be asked to make new arrangements which might involve the Parish Council purchasing the relevant software.

82. TO REPORT PROGRESS RE REFURBISHMENT OF CULLUM ROAD RECREATION GROUND

Cllr Fyffe reported that a number of ‘failed’ trees in the recreation ground would be replaced. On fencing her advice had been that fencing would not be suitable and that planting would be better. It was Agreed that this be investigated. It is the Council’s intention to do something to protect the residents’ fencing as soon as was practicable.

83. TO CONSIDER THE PROPOSED YOUTH SHELTER IN CHURCH ROAD RECREATION GROUND

Cllr Stacy circulated a draft application for submission to SODC for grant aid towards the shelter. Councillors gave suggestions for the answers to the questions. Cllr Stacy will complete the form and submit to the clerk to be sent off. Cllr Bell will provide details of prices from a second supplier.

Cllr Stacy was thanked for her work on the application.

84. TO CONSIDER A REQUEST FOR A DOG WASTE BIN IN THE CULLUM/MILLER/LEYSHON  ROAD AREA – Agreed (cost approx £190)

85. CLERK UPDATE

i)        Parish Councils exempt from freeze on Council Tax – Noted

ii)        In 2011 it is the intention that payment methods for Parish Councils will be reformed i.e. freedom to use modern banking methods such as electronic banking – Noted

iii)        To consider quotes received for the hatching on the Littleworth industrial apron Agreed to accept the quote from Acculine Ltd for £385

86. GRANTS, LICENCES AND SUBSCRIPTIONS

i) Thame CAB – in past years the Parish Council have given £1,000. A letter from the CAB had been circulated with Agenda. In it the manager explained that clients seem to be accessing advice by telephone or travelling to Thame rather than face to face in Wheatley. There was a discussion about whether the Parish Council should reduce its grant aid in light of this.

Cllr Carr proposed and Cllr Reilly seconded that a grant of £500 be made. This motion was lost by 4 votes in favour to 5 against.

Cllr Bell proposed and Cllr Devlin seconded that the grant should remain at £1,000 for 2010/2011. This was Agreed with 5 votes in favour to 4 against.

9.30 pm Cllr Devlin proposed and Cllr Reilly seconded that Standing Orders be suspended for 20 minutes in order to finish the Agenda. Agreed

87. FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT

i)   The budget to October 2010 was scrutinised and a copy of the reconciled bank statement was signed by the Chairman & RFO

ii) Balances

After the cheques below have been paid the balances on the council’s  accounts  as at 15th November 2010 will be as follows:           Community        £1,756.15

Tracker             £56,103.18

Treasury           £60,009.00

SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS AUTHORISED

Cheque no. Payee Payment details Amount
Cheques paid
105207-211 GM/SW/JF/OCC/HMR&C Oct wages/pen/PAYE/NICs 3506.37
105200 The Post Office Stamps 185.00
105201 Southern Electric Electricity July – Sept 2010 3.40
105202 Royal British Legion Wreath 40.00
105203 M Hogan 4 years antivirus subscription 169.95
105204 Oxfordshire Assoc. or the Blind Grant Aid 200.00
105205 Society for local Council Clerks 2010-2011 subscription 168.00
105206 Berinsfield Community Business September verges and recs 804.87
d/d BNP Paribas Quarterly lease for photocopier 360.18
Total £5,437.77
Cheques to Pay
105212 MBMC Office rental Sept-Dec 2010 949.69
105212 MBMC Hire of hall 75.00
105213 Berinsfield Business Community Verges/Recs/Patio/Greens 981.22
105214 Swift Business services Ltd Final excess copies on old copier 95.72
105215 Anthony Stiff Associates Defects Inspection and report 500.00
105216 Active Installations Cullum Rd 5% retainer 4,775.60
GM/SW/JF/OCC/HMR&C Nov wages/pen/PAYE/NICs 3,500.00
Total £10,877.23

Also authorised £234.52 to Queensbury Shelters – replacement glass for Park Hill Bus shelter

INCOME RECEIVED SINCE LAST MEETING

Income details Amount
Allotments 20.00
Photocopying 1.10
Total £21.10

88. PUBLICATIONS & CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED – NOTED

i)        The Haseleys – Newsletter November  2010*

ii)        Wheatley URC Newsletter October 2010*

iii)        Little Milton Newsletter November  2010*

iv)        Great Milton Bulletin November  2010*

v)        Holton, Waterstock and Waterperry News – October 2010*

vi)        CPRE Oxfordshire Bulletin Autumn 2010*

vii) The Wheatley Society – Letter re centre of the village and footpaths

It was Agreed that the outdoor workers be asked to clear the grit from the kerbs and in the longer term investigation be mad into using the ‘Unpaid Work in the Community’ scheme run by Thames Valley Probation to help with such tasks in the future

*On display in Parish Office

89.  DATE OF NEXT MEETING – 13th December 2010 – Noted

90.  RESOLUTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC

Cllr Carr proposed and Cllr Reilly seconded that:

“Under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the public be excluded on the grounds that   it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph X of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Act, namely private contractual and employment matters”

Agreed

The meeting closed at 9.50pm following the confidential item