WHEATLEY PARISH COUNCIL
MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE PARISH COUNCIL
HELD ON MONDAY 7TH NOVEMBER 2011 IN THE MERRY BELLS AT 7.30 PM
PRESENT: Councillors: E.M. Stacey (Chairman), J Reilly. R Old, G Stephens, P Willmott, A Knapp, R Bell, D Lamont, C Dalton (until 8.30pm) J Carr & J Anderson
OFFICER: Gareth Morris Clerk to the Parish Council
Also present: County Councillor Anne Purse, PC P Gregory, Mr P Hood (Internal Auditor to the Parish Council), Mrs J Stoker (Maple Tree Children’s Centre and one member of the public.
70. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE had been received from Cllrs Coveley and Birks
71. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – None
72. MINUTES OF THE EXTRA ORDINARY PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 12TH OCTOBER 2011 circulated with this Agenda were signed as a correct and accurate record.
73. UPDATE ON ITEMS ARISING FROM THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 12TH OCTOBER 2011
i) Minute 66 – resurfacing of Friday Lane & Holloway Road – this had now been completed
ii) Minute 67 – Brookes Planning Application – it was not known when this would go to the SODC Planning Committee. Cllr Reilly said he had heard that it was the Government’s intention to install light controlled crossings in the future
iii) Minute 68 – SODC Core Strategy – Examination in Public Wheatley Parish Council’s submission was scheduled to be heard on November 2nd. In the absence of Cllr Birks, Cllr Carr read out Cllr Birk’s report on the hearing. (Copy in Minute Book)
With the permission of the meeting Agenda Items 7 and 8 were now taken
74. TO CONSIDER ITEMS FOR THE 2011-2012 ACCOUNTS (See papers sent with the Agenda for the F&GP meeting held on 19th September 2011). Mr Hood, who was in attendance was invited to speak.
Mr Hood spoke to his report which had been circulated previously to all councillors. He said that the Parish Council should pay particular attention to the size of the balances that were being carried forward. It was perfectly acceptable to earmark funds for future projects but not to keep rolling these funds over from year to year. Some indication of when the Parish Council intended to use the earmarked funds should be given.
(i) Letter of Engagement of Internal Auditor (Mr Phillip Hood) 2011-2012
Cllr Lamont proposed and Cllr Willmott seconded that Mr Hood be engaged as the Parish Council’s internal auditor for 2011-2012
(ii) Statement of Internal Control for Wheatley Parish Council – Mr Hood said that it was no longer necessary to have a formal, minuted Statement of Internal Control as was required in previous years. It was only necessary to place on the checklist that the parish Council had discussed.
Mr Hood was thanked for his attendance.
75. TO SIGN THE FUNDING AGREEMENT BETWEEN OXFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL (BIG SOCIETY FUND AND WHEATLEY PARISH COUNCIL FOR £7,120.00 TO PROVIDE TWO OPEN ACCESS YOUTH CLUB SESSIONS FOR 43 WEEKS OF THE YEAR.
Jenny Stoker from OCC was invited to address the meeting. She reported that the funding for the refurbishment had been received in full. There would be a new landing area, flooring, ceiling, reception area, kitchen and front doors. It was hoped work would start in November/December and take to 6/8 weeks.
It was Agreed to invite Mr Paul Lawrence of Oxfordshire Association for Young People to the next
8.30pm Cllr Dalton left the meeting
The Chairman declared the meeting Out of Session
County Councillor Purse – She reported that each County Councillor has a small amount of money for ‘Local Funding’ for 2012-2013 that he or she can spend on local highway matters. She was of the opinion that Wheatley as the largest village should get her first allocation.
The Library Service – Wheatley Library needed a fund raising group – ‘Friends of Wheatley Library. She would be willing to co-ordinate meetings
Is there anybody from Wheatley Parish Council willing to meet with Holton Parish Council
PC Gregory – Car crime in rural areas is on the increase especially vans with tools etc. £3,000 worth of fishing equipment had been taken from one vehicle.
Enforcement of the parking regulations in The High Street would undertaken and there was also concern racial comments on the bus shelter at Asda and general graffiti.
District Councillors – A boundary review would be taking place leading to areduction in the number of District Councillors.
9.04pm The Chairman declared the Council back in session
76. TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES of the meetings of the Planning Committee held on:
i) Wednesday 14th September, circulated previously – These were received
ii) Wednesday 12th October, circulated with this Agenda – These were received
77. TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES of the meetings of the F&GP Committee meeting held on:
i) Monday 19th September, circulated with this Agenda – these were received
ii) Monday 17th October, circulated with this Agenda – these were received
78. TO APPROVE AND ACCEPT ANNUAL RETURN FOR 2010-2011 FOLLOWING NOTICE OF CONCLUSION OF THE AUDIT FROM THE EXTERNAL AUDITOR AND TO CONSIDER THE ISSUES ARISING FROM THE REPORT.
i) The restatement of Fixed Assets
ii) Section 1 does not add up by £1
Cllr Bell proposed and Cllr Reilly seconded that the Annual Return for 2010-11 and the report of the External Auditor be approved and accepted. This was Agreed unanimously.
79. TO CONSIDER THE REQUEST FROM A RESIDENT FOR THE REMOVAL OF THE FOOTPATH BARRIER BY THE CORNFIELD BAKERY
Agreed that the Clerk reply to the resident saying that the Parish Council would be requesting information from the Highways Department of the County Council on the need for a barrier and on the types of barrier that https://www.southwesternmedcenter.com they approve.
80. TO CONSIDER THE ROLE OF COMMUNICATION BETWEEN COUNCILLORS
81. REPORTS FROM OUTSIDE BODIES
a) Park Sports centre Joint User Group – the concern over the effect on parking of the new Brookes entrance was now resolved
b) The Howe Trust – no report.
c) Merry Bells Management Committee – the committee was considering the refurbishment of the coffee room
82. TO CONSIDER MATTERS RELATING TO WHEATLEY PARK SPORTSFIELD MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
i) Report on last meetings. The County Council had handed over their role to Mouchet
ii) Update on the redevelopment of the pavilion – a site meeting had taken place where the designs had been marked out and a number of questions had arisen for the architects to address. The cost of a new pavilion was likely to be in the region of £1m to £1.5m.
83. CALENDAR OF MEETINGS – NOTED
a) Planning Committee – Wednesday 9th November 2011 – 7.30pm
b) F&GP Committee – Monday 21st November – 7.30pm
c) F&GP Committee – Monday 12th December – 7.30pm
d) Planning Committee – Wednesday 14th December 2011 – 7.30pm
e) Parish Council Meeting – Monday 9th January 2012– 7.30pm
f) Planning Committee – Wednesday 11th January 2012 – 7.30pm
Meeting closed at 9.56pm