WHEATLEY PARISH COUNCIL

MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL

HELD ON MONDAY 5th SEPTEMBER 2011 IN THE MERRY BELLS AT 7.30 PM

PRESENT: Councillors: E.M. Stacey (Chairman), J Reilly. R Old, G. Birks (until 9.05pm), G Stephens, J Anderson, R. T .Bell, P Willmott , S Coleridge, A Knapp(until 8.40pm) , J Coveley, D Lamont, C Dalton (until 8.30pm) & G Stephens

OFFICER: Gareth Morris Clerk to the Parish Council

Also present: County Councillor Anne Purse, Mrs Jenny Stoker (Maple Tree Children’s Centre) and Dr J Watson (Editor of the Wheatley Newsletter)

46. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE had been received from Cllr Carr

47. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – None

  1. 48. MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 4th JULY 2011 which had been circulated previously were signed as a correct and accurate record

  1. 49. UPDATE ON ITEMS ARISING FROM THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 4TH JULY 2011

Open Forum (page 3) – Report from County Councillor Anne Purse – resurfacing of Friday Lane & Holloway Road. The County Council have issued a temporary road closure order for Holloway Road whilst resurfacing works are carried out. The order comes into force on 3rd October and is expected to be of 3 weeks duration. The Friday Lane resurfacing should take place after the Holloway Road scheme is finished. – NOTED

50. THE MINUTES of the meetings of the Planning Committee held on the following dates were received:

i) Wednesday 13th July 2011 &

ii) Wednesday 10th August 2011

51. THE MINUTES of the meeting of the F&GP Committee meeting held on the following date were received:

(i) Monday 18th July 2011

52. TO RECEIVE A REPORT ON THE PROGRESS OF THE PARISH COUNCIL’S BID TO OCC’S BIG SOCIETY FUND FOR FUNDING FOR YOUTH PROVISION IN THE VILLAGE.

The Chairman reported that the Parish Council’s bid had been submitted at the end of August and it was understood that the bid would be discussed at the County Council’s October Cabinet meeting.

She then invited Mrs Jenny Stoker from the Maple Tree Children’s Centre to speak to the meeting. Mrs Stoker said that the youth centre would become a multi youth community building used by a number of organisations; such as Barnardos, The Maple Tree Children’s centre which caters for the under fives and parents to be, and, eventually the youth provision provided by the parish council.

In answer to a question on time scales, Mrs Stoker answered that one could not be given at the moment. But a steering committee for the building would be in place from mid October and a representative from the youth provision would be appointed. The County Council had agreed to go ahead with repairs to the building.

The Chairman reported that a meeting with Paul Lawrence of OAYP, the organisation that can advise about running the youth club and may actually run it, had unfortunately had to be cancelled due to ill health of Mr. Lawrence.

The Chairman thanked Mrs Stoker for attending the meeting

The Clerk read out an anonymous letter from ‘Wheatley Youth Club asking that the Youth Club stay open. – noted.

53. TO CONSIDER THE LETTER OF 8TH AUGUST TO THE PARISH COUNCIL FROM MR PAUL LARGE, REGISTRAR, OXFORD BROOKES UNIVERSITY ON THE APPLICATION FOR THE PROVISION OF NEW ACCESS ROAD TO SERVE WHEATLEY PARK SCHOOL AND OXFORD BROOKES UNIVERSITY.

The Planning Application is worded:

P11/W1227 Provision of new access to serve Wheatley Park School and Oxford Brooks University. New coach park for Wheatley Park School. Redistribution of existing car parking for Wheatley Park School and Oxford Brooks University with no net increase (515 spaces for Oxford Brookes University and 95 replacement spaces at Wheatley Park School). New landscaping and ancillary works.

Three zebra crossings were proposed for the Park Hill/London Road/Holloway Road junction. The Parish Council had requested that these be light controlled ‘Toucan’ crossings. There were no proposals for measures at the Round House junction (Holloway Road/Church Road). A number of councillors expressed a concern that the zebra crossings would not be light controlled and therefore posed a road safety issue for Wheatley Park School students crossing on foot at that point.

Cllr Birks volunteered to draft a letter to Brookes University requesting that light controlled crossings be installed and measures for the Roundhouse junction be included.

The Clerk reported that the Parish Council had been given until 22nd September to respond to SODC and, according to the SODC website, the consultation end date was 29th September and the target decision date was 24th November. The clerk was asked to contact SODC to arrange a later response date.

8.30pm Cllr Dalton left the meeting

8.37pm The Chairman declared the Council out of session and invited County Councillor Anne Purse to speak

County Councillor Anne Purse – she suggested that the Parish Council write to Holton parish council explaining their views on the Brookes application.

The County Council’s new ‘ Salt Bin and Grit’ procedure for Parish Councils was causing some upset and concern amongst parish councils. The clerk informed the council that this was to be discussed at the next F&GP Committee meeting.

She was disappointed that having been informed by the County Council that they would resurface Holloway Road in August, it would now not take place until October.

8.40pm – Cllr Knapp left the meeting

District Councillor Roger Bell – it had been very quiet over the summer period and therefore he had nothing new to report.

8.52pm The Chairman declared the council back in session.

54. TO RECEIVE A REPORT ON THE COUNCIL’S SUBMISSION TO THE EXAMINATION IN PUBLIC OF SODC’s CORE STRATEGY AND TO CONSIDER A SUBMISSION TO THE NEXT EXAMINATION IN PUBLIC SESSION (1st November to 11th November)

Items for examination are:

  • the overall strategy, particularly the quantity and distribution of housing development (CS chapter 4 and the relevant section of chapter 7)
  • ‘moving around’ (CS chapter 5)
  • Didcot (CS chapter 9),
  • Thame (CS chapter 11),
  • Wallingford (CS chapter 12),
  • ‘quality development’ (CS chapter 15),
  • infrastructure provision (CS chapter 18).

AGREED to refer this to F&GP

55 . TO CONSIDER THE RECOMMENDATION FROM HE FINANCE AND GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE OF 18TH JULY THAT THE PARISH COUNCIL ADOPT THE FOLLOWING GUIDELINES:

1. As publisher of the newsletter the council has legal responsibility for its contents. The final decision as to the content of any article and the decision whether or not to publish rests with the council.

2 The Council reserves the right to decline to publish any article.

3 Any article the editor proposes not to publish or which he proposes to publish but gives rise to doubt, or to a conflict of interest whether actual or perceivable as such, should be identified and discussed with the Chairman of the Council who will make the final editorial decision after consulting if possible with the vice-chairman of the council and such other councillors as can be contacted within a reasonable period of time

Dr Watson, the editor of the newsletter was invited to speak. He said that the guidelines virtually followed the present procedures and he had no objection to them

Cllr Stacey proposed and Cllr Birks seconded that the guidelines be adopted. This was AGREED by 10 votes in favour and 2 against (0 abstentions).

56. TO RECEIVE AND NOTE THE REPORT OF THE INTERNAL AUDITOR, MR PHILLIP HOOD

Cllr Bell proposed and Cllr Birks seconded that the report be received and the recommendations noted. AGREED UNANIMOUSLY

57. TO CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING CONSULTATIONS:

i) Oxfordshire County Council -Library Service Public Consultation – 27th May – 30 September http://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/wps/portal/publicsite/councilservices/libraryserviceconsultation

The proposal is that Wheatley Library will be a ‘community plus library’ which two thirds paid staff and one third volunteers – AGREED NO RESPONSE

ii) The Local Government Boundary Commission – Electoral Review of Oxfordshire

Full report, including maps available at www.lgbce.org.uk

Consultation closes 10th October 2011 – The Parish Council’s recommendation the Wheatley ward include Garsington had not been taken up. Tiddington and Waterstock would now be part of the ward. AGREED NO RESPONSE

58. TO CONSIDER A REQUEST FROM FUSION YOUTH AND COMMUNITY TO USE CULLUM ROAD RECREATION AREA FOR A MINI FUNDAY ON THE AFTERNOON OF SATURDAY 15TH OCTOBER. AGREED
Then everything runs smoothly. I was surprised by many feedbacks, which state that viagragener.com causes side effects. The only thing I noticed is an agitated state throughout the day.

9.05pm Cllr Birks left the meeting

59. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM COUNCILLORS JIM REILLY & ROGER BELL ON THE RECENT PARISH COUNCIL WALKS AROUND THE VILLAGE AND TO RECOMMEND THAT THE F&GP COMMITTEE LOOK AT ANY ACTIONS REQUIRED AND THE COSTS INVOLVED. It was Agreed to refer this to F&GP.

  1. 60. REPORTS FROM OUTSIDE BODIES

a) Neighbourhood Action Group – No Report

b) The Howe Trust – Cllr Fyffe reported that more hedging for the Howe had been discussed and there also had been discussion on access on to the Howe from the house on Ladder Hill

c) Merry Bells Management Committee – New heaters had been installed in the main hall and the coffee room

  1. 61. TO CONSIDER MATTERS RELATING TO WHEATLEY PARK SPORTSFIELD MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

i) To appoint a new Parish Council representative in place of Cllr Bell

Cllr Anderson was proposed by Cllr Bell and seconded by Cllr Reilly. It was AGREED that Cllr Anderson be the Parish Council’s representative on the SFMC

The Chairman thanked Cllr Bell on behalf of the Parish Council for his service on the Management Committee

ii) To receive the accounts for the financial year ending 31/3/2011. The balance due from the Parish Council is £10,330.95. This means that after the 4 quarterly payments of £2,000 that have been made, the Parish Council owes £2,330.95. – AGREED

iii) Cllr Willmott reported on the last meeting where the design briefs from the five architects that had been asked to submit, were opened. One did not submit and one referred to the previous design brief. Therefore at the next meeting it would be decided which of the remaining three architects should be invited to explain their designs to the committee.

62. TO CONSIDER THE ENTERTAINMENT LICENCE RENEWAL APPLICATION FROM OXFORD BROOKES UNIVERSITY – NOTED

63. CALENDAR OF MEETINGS. – NOTED

a) Planning Committee – Wednesday 14th September 2011 – 7.30pm

b) F&GP Committee – Monday 19th September – 7.30pm

c) Planning Committee – Wednesday 12th October 2011 – 7.30pm

d) F&GP Committee – Monday 17th October 2011– 7.30pm

e) Parish Council – Monday 7th November 2011 – 7.30pm

The meeting closed at 9.35pm

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply