Wheatley Parish Council
MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE FINANCE & GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE OF THE COUNCIL HELD ON MONDAY 19th SEPTEMBER 2011 IN THE MERRY BELLS HALL AT 7.30PM
PRESENT: Councillors: M Fyffe (Chairman), J Carr (until 9.35pm), R Old, J Reilly, R Bell, J Anderson & S Coleridge
OFFICER THE CLERK: Gareth Morris
MEMBERS HAD BEEN REMINDED BY MEANS OF THE AGENDA THAT IF THEY HAD AN INTEREST TO DECLARE IN ANY AGENDA ITEM, THEY SHOULD DO SO IN ADVANCE OF THE MEETING IN THE BOOK PROVIDED FOR THIS PURPOSE
57. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE had been received from Cllrs Stacey and Birks
58. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – None
59. MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING HELD ON 18TH JULY 2011 which had been circulated previously were signed as a correct and accurate record
60. UPDATE ON ITEMS FROM THE MINUTES 27th JULY 2011
i) Minute 46 – Seat outside Merry Bells. The clerk reported that the seat paid for by the Parish Council had been installed
61. TO CONSIDER THE 2012-2013 BUDGET and 2011-2012 ACCOUNTS
(i) Letter of Engagement of Internal Auditor (Mr Phillip Hood) 2011-2012 – Agreed that Mr Hood should be invited to the November Parish Council meeting
(ii) Statement of Internal Control for Wheatley Parish Council – to be signed at the next parish council meeting
(iii) To review charges and policies of the Parish Council
- Allotments – charges for the allotments had not changed for a number of years and therefore it was AGREED that the charge for an allotment should raise from £6.00 to £10.00.
- Advertisements in Wheatley Newsletter – these charges had only recently been reviewed and increased (January 2011) – AGREED to keep the existing charges
- Charges for information.- AGREED to keep the existing charges
62. TO REPORT PROGRESS RE REFURBISHMENT OF CULLUM ROAD RECREATION GROUND
The Clerk reported that the Parish Council Insurers had agreed to pay for the replacement safety surface under the swings less a small excess and he had asked Safe and Sound Playgrounds to go ahead and replace the surface in line with their quotation.
He still had to contact Thames Water re the provision of a tap in the recreation ground.
63. TO CONSIDER THE PROPOSED YOUTH SHELTER IN CHURCH ROAD RECREATION GROUND
The Clerk distributed a draft of a letter to be sent to residents as adjacent to Church Road Recreation Area, informing them of the Parish Council’s intention to install a youth centre. Comments made by the Committee would be include in the final version.
Cllr Reilly would contact Wheatley Park School to arrange for consultation with pupils.
64. TO RECEIVE AN UPDATE ON PROGRESS ON THE PARISH COUNCIL’S BID TO THE OCC BIG SOCIETY FUND FOR YOUTH PROVISION IN THE VILLAGE
The Parish Council’s bid had been submitted and a decision was expected in October.
The Clerk reported that, as he understood it, the Parish Council spend on this project would be under Section 137 of the Local Government Act 1972.
Cllrs Bell and Carr, as District Councillors, had visited Asda, in response to Asda’s offer help to the community. It may be that Asda could provide help with providing computers etc.
65. TO START PLANNING FOR THE FINANCING OF THE NEW PAVILION DEVELOPMENT ON THE PARISH COUNCIL’S LAND
The clerk informed the committee that the increase in income from grants or expenditure on the new pavilion would substantially raise the audit fee of the parish Council. Currently the fee stands at £550
66. TO DETERMINE ACTIONS REQUIRED AND THE COSTS INVOLVED RESULTING FROM THE RECENT PARISH COUNCIL WALKS UNDER THE FOLLOWING HEADINGS.
1 Trees – AGREED to ask Cavan Ring to carry out work on the trees in Church Road Recreation Ground and the tree on Littleworth Green (check for TPO first) and to give advice on leaf miner
2. Allotments – Clerk to contact resident who has not used her allotment recently
3. Ownership of land – Checks need to be done on the land and trees behind Barlow Close and on the verge on north side of London Road, opposite Morland House Surgery.
4. Grass cutting – arrange to talk to Berinsfield Community Business re their grass cutting, especially of the recreation areas and Greens
5. Recreation areas & Public Open Space (Coopers Close) – consideration needs to be given to removing the sand pit in Cullum Road Recreation Ground. Cavan Ring to be asked to deal with cutting back the shrubs etc at Coopers Close public open space.. Cllr Reilly and the clerk to visit Littleworth and inspect the footpaths etc.
67. TO RECEIVE A REPORT ON THE COUNCIL’S SUBMISSION TO THE EXAMINATION IN PUBLIC OF SODC’s CORE STRATEGY AND TO CONSIDER A SUBMISSION TO THE NEXT EXAMINATION IN PUBLIC SESSION (1st November to 11th November) Referred from full council
Items for examination are:
- the overall strategy, particularly the quantity and distribution of housing development (CS chapter 4 and the relevant section of chapter 7)
- ‘moving around’ (CS chapter 5)
- Didcot (CS chapter 9),
- Thame (CS chapter 11),
- Wallingford (CS chapter 12),
- ‘quality development’ (CS chapter 15),
- infrastructure provision (CS chapter 18).
The Clerk reported that the deadline for a submission to this part of the Examination in Public was 13th October. The item could therefore be placed on the Agenda of the Extra-ordinary Parish Council meeting to be held on Wednesday 12th October to discuss the Brookes University (Wheatley Campus) new entrance application. AGREED
68. TO AGREE TO SIGN STANDING ORDER INSTRUCTION FOR THE TENANCY AGREEMENT FOR A STORAGE FACILITY AT WHEATLEY BUSINESS CENTRE FOR £156 PER MONTH. (£130 + vat) AGREED
69. TO CONSIDER OXFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL’S NEW POLICY ON SALT BINS AND BAGS
Salt bins will be filled just once by OCC. After that OCC expect Parishes to replenish the bins when required. OCC will provide Parishes with a free one tonne bag of salt. After that Parishes can purchase extra bags at a cost of £100 per bag.
The Committee felt strongly that it was the County Council’s responsibility to provide the grit for the bins and to fill them. The Parish Council did not have the facilities to store the bags, the equipment or the staff to move the grit in order to replenish the bins.
Cllr Carr proposed and Cllr Reilly seconded that the Parish Council does not avail itself of the free one ton bag of salt/grit or purchase any subsequent bags. This was AGREED unanimously.
The clerk would follow up last year’s request for extra bins within the village. These would now cost £250 each.
70. CLERK UPDATE
i) OALC Training day – Tuesday 8th November – ‘ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES WORKING ON YOUR LOCAL COUNCIL. An introduction for new councillors and clerks – NOTED
ii) To consider developing an Community Emergency Plan for the parish. ‘Emergency Response and
Winter Preparedness’ session. 4th October 6.15 pm Abbey House – NOTED
iii) To consider paying the 2011 Society of Local Council Clerks Subscription for the clerk – £168 – AGREED
iv) Procedures to be followed in the absence of the clerk. – NOTED
vi) Safety Inspection of Recreation Areas – The Clerk reported on the recent safety inspection of the recreation areas explaining the faults found and the remedial action that had been taken. – NOTED
vii) Powers and Duties of Local Councils and Section 137 Funding (currently approx £22,000) – NOTED
viii) Resurfacing of Holloway Road (3rd October for 3 weeks) and Friday Lane ( October 24th for 3 days)
(See enclosed papers) – NOTED
71. GRANTS, LICENCES AND SUBSCRIPTIONS
i) International Tree Foundation – 2011 subscription – £25 Agreed
ii) Grant towards Merry Bells Coffee room refurbishment – Place on the Agenda of the next meeting.
iii) Oxfordshire Association for the Blind – 13 (15) residents helped In Wheatley (£200 awarded in 2010)
iv) Wheatley park School – 2011 Prize Giving (£180 in 2010) – AGREED £180
v) Fusion Community UK – Request for £60 towards Bouncy Castle on Cullum Road Recreation Area Funday- AGREED £60
vi) Ordnance Survey – Map copying licence – £65 – AGREED
9.30pm Cllr Reilly proposed and Cllr Carr seconded that Standing orders be suspended for 15 minutes in order to finish the remaining items on the Agenda – Agreed
72. FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
a) The Clerk distributed a copy of the budget to the end of August 2011 and a completed copy of reconciled bank statement was signed by Chairman & RFO
After the cheques below have been paid the balances on the council’s accounts as at
19TH September 2011 will be as follows: Community £2,216.27
SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS AUTHORISED
|Cheque no.||Payee||Payment details||Amount|
|GM/SW/JF/OCC/HMR&C||July/ Aug sal/wages/pen/PAYE/NICs||6,681.55|
|105360||Swift Digital services||Photocopies April-July||70.32|
|105363||Berinsfield Community Business||Verges and recs July||842.58|
|105364||SODC||Dog Bins – 1/4/11 – 30/6/11||84.32|
|105365||J Watson||Aug-Sept Newsletter||680.00|
|105366||MBMC||Office rental 25/06/11 – 24/09/11||992.42|
|105366||MBMC||Hire of hall to Nov 2011||224.00|
|105368||BT||Telephone line and rental||136.44|
|105378||WPSFMC||Additional 2010-2011 payment||2,330.95|
|d/d||Barclays Bank plc||Bank charges 13/7/11-14/08/11||53.97|
|d/d||Public Works Loan Board||Loan repayment||483.47|
|Cheques to Pay|
|105374||Waterperry Gardens Ltd||Seat outside Merry Bells||434.65|
|105376||Safe and Sound Playgrounds||Spring repair to gate Ch Rd Rec||156.00|
|105377||Berinsfield Community Business||Recs and verges cutting Aug||904.08|
|105379||BDO LLP||Fee for External Audit||660.00|
|105380||SODC||Uncontested election expenses||130.00|
INCOME RECEIVED SINCE LAST MEETING
|Interest – Treasury Deposit May-July||30.63|
|Refund on photocopier lease||271.20|
9.35pm Cllr Carr left the meeting
79. PUBLICATIONS & CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED – NOTED
i) The Haseleys – Newsletter September 2011*
ii) Little Milton Newsletters August & September 2011*
iii) Great Milton Bulletin September 2011*
iv) Wheatley URC Newsletter August & September 2011*
v) TVP – Wheatley Area Neighbourhood Team August 2011 Newsletter*
vi) Holton, Waterperry & Waterstock News August 2011*
vii) Tiddington with Albury & Milton Common – August/September Newsletter*
viii) CPRE – ‘Fieldwork’ magazine Summer 2011*
ix) “The Playing Field” – Oxfordshire Playing Fields Association Summer 2011 Newsletter*
x) CPRE – ‘Countryside Voice’. Summer 2011
xi) ORCC – Networking event and AGM 6.30pm Monday 3rd October – Chalgrove Village Hall NOTED
xii) Clerks and councils Direct – September 2011 issue
xiii) LCR (Local Council Review) – Autumn 2011*
xiv) Letter from Resident re Car parking times in SODC car park. – NOTED
xv) Letter of thanks and photographs from John Watson School
* On display in Parish Office
80. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – 17th October 2011 – NOTED
The meeting closed at 9.45pm