Wheatley Parish Council

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE FINANCE & GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE OF THE COUNCIL HELD ON MONDAY 23rd MAY 2011 IN THE PARISH OFFICE AT 7.30PM

PRESENT: Councillors:  M Fyffe (Chairman) to 9.20pm, G Birks (Retiring Chairman), E Stacey, R Old, J Reilly, R Bell, J Carr & S Coleridge

OFFICER THE CLERK: Gareth Morris

MEMBERS HAD BEEN REMINDED BY MEANS OF THE AGENDA THAT IF THEY   HAD AN INTEREST TO DECLARE IN ANY AGENDA ITEM, THEY SHOULD DO SO IN ADVANCE OF THE MEETING IN THE BOOK PROVIDED FOR THIS PURPOSE.

Cllr Birks, the retiring Chairman took the Chair for Agenda Item 1

  1. 1. ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN

Cllr Fyffe was proposed by Cllr Birks and seconded by Cllr Reilly

As there were no other nominations Cllr Fyffe was declared elected as Chairman

  1. 2. ELECTION OF VICE CHAIRMAN

Cllr Carr was proposed by Cllr Birks and seconded by Cllr Reilly

As there were no other nominations Cllr Carr was declared elected as Vice-Chairman

  1. 3. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE had been received from Cllr Anderson

  1. 4. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – Cllr Bell, as member of South Oxfordshire District Council, declared a personal interest in agenda item 7 and took no part in the discussion and abstain from voting.

  1. 5. MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING – 18TH APRIL 2011 which had been circulated previously were signed as a correct and accurate record.

  1. 6. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES  18th April 2011

i) Minute 149 – Youth Provision in Wheatley and the ‘Big Society’ Fund

Information had been received from the County Council that it might cost up to £5,000 to  run two evening sessions per week. Cllr Carr reported slightly different figures.

So that Cllr Carr would be able to report something positive to the next meeting she was to attend, Cllr Reilly proposed and Cllr Coleridge seconded that “The Parish Council  would be minded to contribute between £2,000 to £3,000 max to fund youth service provision in Wheatley for 2011-2012, subject to approval. This was Agreed unanimously.

ii) Minute 163 – Refurbishment of Cullum Road Recreation Area

The Clerk reported that the new trees had been planted.

The estimate to replace the safety surface by the swings was £1,496.00. Substantially more damage had been done over the recent weeks. Agreed the clerk would report the damage to the police and obtain a crime number so that a claim might be made on the insurance policy and then the surface to be repaired asap.

7.  TO AGREE A FORMAL RESPONSE TO BROOKES UNIVERSITY ‘S PROPOSALS FOR PEDESTRIAN SAFETY MEASURES AT PARK HILL AND HOLLOWAY ROAD (deferred from full council)

Cllr Birks tabled a draft letter (copy in Minute Book) which was discussed and approved, with minor amendments.

8. TO CONSIDER THE PROPOSED YOUTH SHELTER IN CHURCH ROAD RECREATION GROUND

The clerk reported that he had contacted Wheatley Park School and Mr Pearson would seem to be the person who would put the council in touch with year 10 students. The clerk would put Cllr Reilly in touch with him to arrange for a consultation session. The clerk would contact the police to confirm their preferred siting and also to obtain a third estimate. The exact location would have to be decided. A letter from a resident on Church asking for details of the project was read out.

  1. 9. TO CONSIDER ALTERATIONS TO BELL LANE FOLLOWING THE RECENT PEDESTRIAN/CAR ACCIDENT.

Cllr Fyffe had completed a comprehensive analysis of the results of the responses (copy in Minute Book) to the Parish Council’s letter to residents of Bell Lane on the possibility of making Bell Lane a cul de sac at the High Street end. This idea had not found favour with the majority of respondents however the change suggested by biggest number was to reverse the direction of traffic. Cllr Fyffe suggested that a further letter be sent thanking them for their input and proposing that the option of reversing the traffic flow is looked at and get their feedback on this alternative approach – recognising that this has come from them.

This was Agreed. Cllrs Birks and Dalton to draft the letter.

10.            TO CONSIDER THE REMIT OF THE RECREATION AREAS WORKING GROUP

(referred from full council)

Cllr Bell had tabled a suggestion of a change of name and possible Terms of Reference.

The Clerk also circulated Draft Terms of Reference from 2007.

It was felt by the majority of councillors that there was no need to make any changes at this in time as the council workload is high with existing commitments and further meetings would not improve efficiency. However all councillors were reminded of the need to raise issues/concerns relating to open spaces directly with the clerk or through existing meetings to ensure actions are taken.

  1. 11. TO CONSIDER THE SITING OF A DOG HYGIENE BIN ON WINDMILL LANE, BY THE FIRST ENTRANCE TO THE HOWE ALLOTMENTS

AGREED in principle but residents to be further consulted as to the exact location.

  1. 12. CLERK UPDATE

i) Project for Year 6th Wheatley Primary School – The clerk reported that six year six students, with the help of Cllr Reilly had planted out the area outside Londis. The Parish Council is grateful to Mill View Garden centre for the donation of the plants. The clerk to ask the Primary School to help to plant flowers in the memorial Gardens

ii) Container at Wheatley Business Centre . It is likely that the Parish Council will be charged rental for the container they use for storage at the centre in the future due to change of ownership of the containers

iii) The organisation using the Church Road Recreation Area on 1st June, agreed at full council, had replied that they do have Public Liability Insurance.

  1. 13. GRANTS, LICENCES AND SUBSCRIPTIONS

i)  St John Ambulance – Request for Grant Aid (£100 granted March 2010) –  £100 AGREED

14. TO CONFIRM THE SIX SIGNATORIES TO PARISH COUNCIL’S BANK ACCOUNT

It was AGREED that Cllr Stacey become one of the six signatories. The remaining five to be the clerk and Cllrs Reilly, Bell, Carr and Dalton

15.  FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT

i)    Chairman & RFO signed a completed copy of the reconciled bank statement

ii) Balances

After the cheques below have been paid the balances on the council’s accounts as at

23RD May  2011 will be as follows:          Community     £1,085.00

Tracker           £87,426.39

Treasury         £60,081.45

SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS AUTHORISED

Cheque no. Payee Payment details Amount
Cheques paid
105309-313 GM/SW/JF/OCC/HMR&C April wages/pen/PAYE/NICs 3,154.58
d/d Orange Internet provider 18.37
did BNP Paribas Quarterly lease on photocopier 399.94
Total £3,572.89
Cheques to Pay
105314 Briants of Risborough Stakes for Cullum Road rec trees 35.88
105315 R Taylor Landscapes Tree planting – Cullum Rd 60.00
105316 SODC Dog bin emptying 81.62
105317 Ox Design (Jonathan Crowe) Website hosting 72.00
103518 Earth Anchors Dog Bin 236.34
105319 Lyreco Envelopes 43.79
105320 Claire Logic Eset Anti Virus 27.94
105321 Swift Digital services Photocopier usage 45.67
105322 C Dalton Trees etc for Cullum Rd Rec 246.11
105323 Berinsfield Business Community Verges,Recs,Greens,Patio 957.18
105324 Aon Limited Annual Insurance Premium 3,759.55
105325 BT Telephone calls and rental 147.51
105326 The Post Office Stamps 138.00
105327 Merry Bells Office Lease March-June 992.42
105328 St John Ambulance Grant Aid 100.00
GM/SW/JF/OCC/HMR&C May wages/pen/PAYE/NICs 3,500.00
Total £10,444.01

INCOME RECEIVED SINCE LAST MEETING

Income details Amount
Newsletter Advertising 403.00
Total 403.00

16. TO CONSIDER THE TRAINING COURSES OFFERED BY OALC

Agreed to meet the cost of the course (£50) if a any Councillor wished to attend any of the courses

Agreed for the Clerk to attend the course on Agendas and Minutes on 19th July

17  PUBLICATIONS & CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED AND NOTED

i)        The Haseleys – Newsletter May 2011*

ii)        Wheatley URC Newsletter March 2011*

iii)        Little Milton Newsletter May 2011*

iv)        Great Milton Bulletin May 2011*

v)        Holton, Waterperry & Waterstock News – May 2011*

vi)        Wheatley URC May 2011*

vii)        Sue Ryder-Nettlebed Hospice – Thank-you letter for grant aid donation

viii)        Wheatley Park School  April Newsletter*

ix)        Oxfordshire Playing Fields Association – Spring newsletter*

x)        CPRE – ‘Countryside Voice’ – Spring 2011*

xi)        CPRE – ‘Field Work’ Spring 2011*

*On display in Parish Office

18. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – 20th or 27th June 2011 – NOTED

19. RESOLUTION TO EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC

Cllrs Birks proposed and Cllr Reilly seconded that:

“Under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the public be excluded on the grounds that   it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph X of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Act, namely private contractual and employment matters”

Agreed nem con

9.20pm Cllr Fyffe left the meeting and Cllr Carr took the Chair for the Confidential item

The meeting closed at 9.52pm at the finish of the confidential business

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply